Thomas Burgess appears set to become South Sydney’s new pack leader after leading their reserve grade side to a 28-24 NRL pre-season upset of Parramatta.

Burgess was the only first-grade regular to run out for the Rabbitohs against a seasoned Eels line-up at Ringrose Park on Friday night.

And, in his first game since the departure of brothers Sam and George, Burgess stepped up with a barnstorming try in 50 minutes of action.

TRIALS WRAP: Rabbitohs’ rising stars shine as Broncos unearth next Fijian flyer

Round 1

TRIALS GUIDE: How every team will line up

Son of a gun finds the line

Son of a gun finds the line

0:36

Corey Allan also impressed at fullback with a try and try assist, while Kaeon Koloamatangi and Jack Johns also had some good touches.

It was somewhat of a reality check for the Eels, who boasted the likes of Michael Jennings, Shaun Lane, Reed Mahoney, Marata Niukore and Nathan Brown in their line-up.

It also marked the first Eels outing for summer buy Reagan Campbell-Gillard, who produced a number of strong carries in the opening exchanges.

LIVE stream Indigenous All-Stars v Maori Kiwis in the 2020 Harvey Norman NRL All Stars match on KAYO. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

The former Penrith prop was solid in a 20-minute blowout, while most of the other Eels stars were also put on ice by coach Brad Arthur after halftime.

“It was a bit scrappy but we got what we needed to get out of it. We got some runs into some of those forwards early. And no injuries, which was good,” Arthur said.

“(Reagan) didn’t have to do a lot of defence because we had a bit of ball there early but he put his hand up to have some strong carries.

“He said he felt good, his lungs felt good, which is the main thing. I just wanted to get him a blow and see how he goes.”

NRL's next Fijian star?

NRL's next Fijian star?

0:39

Mahoney impressed in his typically busy first-half stint, which included a short-side grubber for winger Haze Dunster.

Jennings brushed off the cobwebs with a first-half try, although the Rabbitohs took an unlikely halftime lead through tries to Allan and Jaxson Paulo.

Paulo finished with two for the night, while journeyman Hame Sele also gave the club some food for thought as he attempts to earn a fulltime deal.

The only injury was a first-half concussion to Rabbitohs signing Corey Denniss. Former St George Illawarra playmaker Jai Field was a late inclusion in the Eels side after his mooted move to Super League fell through.

Field played the second spell at fullback and is on a pre-season deal with the club, who have one spot remaining on their 30-man roster.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Brad got what he want, wonder what it was?

• Monto it would  be stupid to go out in a trial and try and win at all costs. The years we won the wooden spoons we flogged teams in the trials.  Trials are to get the players some match fitness  before the season properly  starts.  I watched roosters lose to northern eagles in a trial 2002.  Roosters won the premiership that year did they not? 

• I remember how amazing we were in the knights trial in 2018. What a shame. 

• Oh and brad fittler played that day too

• He just wanted to  give Gillard a blow.

• Yeah I thought that comment was probably best kept to himself. It’s a family game.

• Remember the dizzying highs of 2011 when super coach Kearney took us on an undefeated run through the trials? Beating the Titans in the final round mean we avoided the spoon by a single point. But those trial wins, man were they great days...

• 😂 haha

• This reply was deleted.
  • I don't understand how you can have an upset in a trial match. Parramatta rotated out virtually all their NRL players at half time, Souths fielded a side mostly of players fighting for first grade games. It's deadset moronic to have favourites or anything of the sort in trial games given both sides are really trying to get some fitness, some combinations and evaluate some of the guys looking to crack first grade.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

EA replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Jett Cleary off to NZ
"The best halves coming through the grades now is Ethan Sanders and Mitch Woods from dogs."
11 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Hi Hoey,
Great write up and the stats are quiet compelling. That said I want to make some point's about a few issues.
Firstly I think too much is being made of our "aging players"....they really are not the issue, in the right balanced team they…"
25 minutes ago
EA replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Jett Cleary off to NZ
"jett isn't rated as high as Nathan "
31 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Super, I thought it was Barrett who recently admitted: "we know Dylan is not an out and out halfback". Arthur never seemed to admit it as candidly as Barrett did - rather calling out everybody around Dylan (who Arthur said was doing a great job at…"
41 minutes ago
More…