Bombshell: Jarryd Hayne to face retrial after winning appeal

There has been a major development in the case of former NRL star Jarryd Hayne, with a ruling handed down on Monday.

Former NRL superstar Jarryd Hayne has had his sexual assault conviction overturned and is set to face a third trial.

The Court of Criminal Appeal on Monday quashed his conviction and ordered that he face a retrial before the NSW District Court.

Mr Hayne, 33, has been in jail for more than nine months having been sentenced to at least three years and eight months in prison for the alleged sexual assault of a woman in her Newcastle home on NRL grand final night in 2018.

Jarryd Hayne was in May last year sentenced to spend at least three years and eight months in prison. Picture: Sam Mooy/Getty Images

Hayne during his playing days with the Parramatta Eels. Picture AAP Image/Darren Pateman.

A District Court jury in March last year found the former Dally M winner guilty of two counts of sexual assault, accepting the woman’s version of events that he performed digital and oral sex on her without her consent.

He was subsequently sentenced by Judge Helen Syme to five years and nine months jail, with a non-parole period of three years and eight months.

He launched an appeal against his conviction, claiming the NSW District Court jury was given flawed directions and there were inconsistencies in the evidence.

His barrister Tim Game argued that the jury was given directions that were “flawed in almost every possible way” before they were sent to deliberate.

According to Hayne’s barrister, Judge Syme used words like “might” and “may” when she should have used “beyond a reasonable doubt”.

Mr Game also argued before the Court of Appeal that the woman’s words in a text sent to a friend did not accord with her evidence that she repeatedly said “no” and “stop”.

The Court of Appeal of Monday quashed his convictions and ordered him to face a fresh trial, with the matter listed to be mention in the District Court on Thursday.

Jarryd Hayne appeal decision: NRL star has sex assault conviction thrown out | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site

More to come.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• #freejarryd #jarrydtoo

• I may be wrong bht Didn't the lady in question message Hayne later somewhere around the lines of "why you did  leave"? 

• I recall more like " why did you leave me when I was bleeding "? 

• Neither one screams rape does it?

• No of course not Michael . I was just answering Yeah Man's question . 

• Yeah I know I was just observing that point. 

• Apparently the exact words, immediately after the alleged brutal rape, from the young lady to Hayne were:

“I thought you would have at least stayed.” 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/mar/16/jarryd-hayne...

Jarryd Hayne rape trial: ex-NRL player called accuser a 'silly young cow', jury told
      Prosecutor says Hayne felt entitled to have sex with the woman and was forceful and rough in getting what he came for
      • I really feel for the bloke with this one, nothing makes any sense, it smacks of a vindictive spurned female who felt a bit worthless when she found out JH was only after a bit of side action.

He accidently cut her with his teeth on a part of her body that was already full of blood and getting ready for action.

She decided to trump up a bloody bed scene which was completely over the top with the amount of blood,  (clearly staged imo)and use it to fuck him up for money and revenge.

Everybody falls for it in this woke age and he gets fucked over.

Thats not fact, just my opinion.

• Yeah buddy, but it's not over yet. I didn't believe Hayne was guilty (the evidence seemed all over the shop), but thought we had to accept the refs' decision; horrified by it all. Even my wife, who hates footy, didn't think he was guilty. Anyway, Hayne didn't get off scot free for being reckless, inconsiderate & dumb.

• Hayne could be freed from jail as early as tomorrow if his bail application is successful. https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/bombshell-jarryd-hayne-to-face-re...

Jarryd Hayne fights to walk from jail
    Jarryd Hayne could walk from prison on bail as early as Tuesday as he gets set to face a jury for a third time over sexual assault allegations.
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"" I dated a cousin of blaizes," 

What was his name ? Can he play footy too ? "
14 seconds ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Luais a great example. Many on here will say he's shit and overated , blah blah blah, but he's leaps and bounds more effective than Brown on a week to week basis . But dare say Browns overated and wow, won't you go down like a lead baloon. It's…"
3 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Jamal Fogarty bicep injury, do we use Sanders as leverage?
"Letting a good talent go, well he is going anyway why not get something in return as oppose to letting him leave for nothing. Can fix our backline issue. We need one Winger, maybe a second to compete. Simonsson has shown he can do a decent job. Get…"
6 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Jamal Fogarty bicep injury, do we use Sanders as leverage?
"Asomua may not be speedy but he would be that workhorse out the back we are lacking. He suits how BA wants to play, he would help those forwards. I would try hard to get Savage, i know it is a pipe dream but desperation can hit, Asomua can replace…"
10 minutes ago
More…