Benching Nathan Brown

I think we are better off keeping Marata at 13 and playing Brown as the interchange prop with Evans. I say this for a few reasons:

1. Marata is hard working and very talented. Apart from having a bit of agression and X factor about him, he is very safe too. I can't recall him having a bad game for us. 

2. Brown is a good front rower,  he showed us that at the bunnies. With him rotating with Evans,  we have two excellent impact props that will bend the line and hit like freight trains in Defence. 

3. No Terepo.

4. Marata, Lane, Matterson are all 80 minute players. Therefore,  I think we can afford to carry a smaller impact 14 type player on the bench with speed and agility to play on the ball when everyone else is tired. Someone like Jai Field (happy to try him at least). I think with the rule changes, a player like that is going to be a real point of difference. 

5. I think we have outgrown the need for Brown as our spiritual leader of the forwards. He created spark and aggression when we played with plodders like Alvaro and Mannah. However, our aggression is fine now and our pack is very skillful and well balanced. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Everyone bar Will Smith offers more than lazy mistake riddled Taka

• I like Browns aggression and intent, to me though and I could be wrong, hes becoming like Paul Gallen, over calling for the ball too much and spoiling the wider options. Just seems to be overly involved at the wrong times. I dont fault his efforts or tenacity, just his timing of when and where to get the ball?

• Good call Bear.

• I agree Bear. Brown and Moses received excellent service against the Bronco's and part of the reason was that the forwards left that channel open. Brown has a tendancy to crowd the halves and get in the way sometimes and that's something he needs to work on. 

• Angy baby you have nailed it.

Not once against Bronx did Moses or Brown get a kick charged down - with Nathan there Moses has troubles (way too often) getting a clean kick away.

When to be then and when to not be there.

• As good as Marata has been. His impact off the bench is unprecedented & Nathan Brown is the leader of our pack, our most aggressive forward. He definitely starts as soon his suspension is up. 

• Haha Nathan Brown plays for himself. He is Not a Team Player. Marata plays Direct, which the team will benefit by his off loads & his quick play the Ball!!

• Brown is our best forward and pack leader. He' starts and plays big minutes. If not for Wade Graham he'd be the Blues lock for sure, will be eventually 

• Well who's been leading  the Forwards while he has not been playing the  last 2 week?... Whata U smoking he'll never be a Wade Graham let alone B a resprentive player.

U DON'T change a Wining Team!!

• This reply was deleted.
    • That's the key, he needs to be less of a link man and to be more direct. He can be more of an offloader and less of a ballplayer, although I would like to see him take another forward like Kane Evans or RCG with him to the line as an option.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Could Lomax backflip on his decision?
"So why would anything be announced to the fans if there's a 10 day cooling off period?"
29 seconds ago
Will 5150 replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion BA please resign
"Agree... I think we're minimal chance for the 8 now. Next 5 weeks is 4 games we could quite easily drop and a bye. If we only take the bye points... or maybe snag 1 win and take 4 points from an available 10 I think we're too far down and almost…"
49 seconds ago
HKF replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Could Lomax backflip on his decision?
"He can. The NRL reintroduced the rule before this season. "
4 minutes ago
HKF replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Could Lomax backflip on his decision?
"Yeah it seems that way.
At the end of the day if he comes or doesn't its not the biggest issue at the club, the coach is the biggest,  junior development,  recruitment and retention and the captaincy are all issues that urgently need to be addressed…"
6 minutes ago
More…