Arthur puts Arthur on notice

Soward, in his weekly The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup preview “Short Side” on the NSWRL.com.au website, was glowing in his praise of Arthur’s skills – showing one of the halfback’s two tries in the 40-8 thumping over the Dragons in Round five last weekend.

“It’s their variation that I’m excited about. A silky pass from Arthur creates the space for (Jordan) Rankin, who puts the fullback (Sean Russel) straight through the middle,” Soward said.

Arthur is then one of three Eels players in support to finish off the move.

“For me that’s a classy play because everyone knows their role; does it at the right time at speed; and passes out the front of them for a great try to Jakob Arthur.”

Arthur’s figures for the match were nothing short of impressive: a line-break, two line-break assists, a try assist, four tackle-busts and he scored two tries himself.

“He had quite a game against the St George Illawarra Dragons … he is actually putting pressure on Mitch Moses and Dylan Brown,” Soward said.

“If (NRL coach) Brad Arthur thinks they can’t get the job done, or haven’t improved their attack in the next couple of weeks, I can see Jakob Arthur potentially forcing himself into that side – maybe coming off the bench – as a bit of a shot over the bow of the halves in the NRL team.

“Parramatta Eels are becoming a real force under coach Ryan Carr. They were impressive last weekend and have got forwards trying to put themselves into contention for first grade.

“They are slowly becoming favourites to win this competition and maybe challenge (ladder leaders) Penrith.”

The Eels, currently in fourth spot, take on the fifth-placed Raiders at GIO Stadium at 5.15pm on Saturday.

The Raiders lost to the Panthers 24-10 in round five so will be eager to get back in the winner’s circle.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• He's a million to one of even getting a sniff of NRL action before 2023.

• I think his time will come a season of reserve grade another preseason with the top grade and he will be ready to play a game or 2 next year

• Soward wouldn't have a clue what day it is. 

• I'll just say this, male or female there aren't many decent commentators around. I'd rather listen to Erin Molen than those two flavourless dopes from Penrith, Alexander and Girdler.

• I think you are close to the mark Kurupt. Does gender determine your ability with mental capabilities? 

• Apparently yes. Male and female brains have different strengths and weaknesses. But I doubt any that are relevant to this thread. For example females are generally better at being able to focus on a task without being distracted. Males better at some mathematical/ spatial stuff.

A gender  differences that may be relevant is voice. Male and female voices gave different impact on emotional and behavioural response.

• This is not a level playing field. The main factor is whether the commentator has played the game at a high level and therefore has the expertise and understanding that only comes with experience. All the male commentators and none of the females have this. 

• Wile that is an interesting discussion which has been made through the ages in many fields of endeavour. The Arts,  Science. Etc There are lots of examples where it hasn, t played out like that. 

• Men are on average stronger than females and there are robust biological and evolutionary reasons but some women are stronger than many men

• Maybe so physically speaking, I believe in general women are stronger mentally than men.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

ParraPride replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"Definitely not!
I see it either being a close game with Parra winning or us winning by over 12 points."
1 hour ago
RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
3 hours ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
4 hours ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
4 hours ago
More…