Arthur puts Arthur on notice

Soward, in his weekly The Knock-On Effect NSW Cup preview “Short Side” on the NSWRL.com.au website, was glowing in his praise of Arthur’s skills – showing one of the halfback’s two tries in the 40-8 thumping over the Dragons in Round five last weekend.

“It’s their variation that I’m excited about. A silky pass from Arthur creates the space for (Jordan) Rankin, who puts the fullback (Sean Russel) straight through the middle,” Soward said.

Arthur is then one of three Eels players in support to finish off the move.

“For me that’s a classy play because everyone knows their role; does it at the right time at speed; and passes out the front of them for a great try to Jakob Arthur.”

Arthur’s figures for the match were nothing short of impressive: a line-break, two line-break assists, a try assist, four tackle-busts and he scored two tries himself.

“He had quite a game against the St George Illawarra Dragons … he is actually putting pressure on Mitch Moses and Dylan Brown,” Soward said.

“If (NRL coach) Brad Arthur thinks they can’t get the job done, or haven’t improved their attack in the next couple of weeks, I can see Jakob Arthur potentially forcing himself into that side – maybe coming off the bench – as a bit of a shot over the bow of the halves in the NRL team.

“Parramatta Eels are becoming a real force under coach Ryan Carr. They were impressive last weekend and have got forwards trying to put themselves into contention for first grade.

“They are slowly becoming favourites to win this competition and maybe challenge (ladder leaders) Penrith.”

The Eels, currently in fourth spot, take on the fifth-placed Raiders at GIO Stadium at 5.15pm on Saturday.

The Raiders lost to the Panthers 24-10 in round five so will be eager to get back in the winner’s circle.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Probably why God decided we’d do the childbirth thing...not so sure why he said you’d get lost after walking out your front door though... with me anyway :)

Is it true the Soviets once used to induce pregnancies in their female athletes then abort foetus to make them strong and more competitive? 

Also heard a good saying once ...if you want to win a war put the mothers of soldiers on the front line!! 

But on the commentary score there are some blokes who can’t read the game for jack shit and there’s some women who are the same... whether they’ve played the game or not,

• 8803104487?profile=RESIZE_584x

• Exactly why they shouldnt be commentating on it Wile.

Do they pull random guys into call netball games who havnt played the game?

• maybe it has something to do with attitude and effort in what you want to succeed in.

8802663899?profile=RESIZE_930x

8802663480?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Should a man who has never played be an NRL commentator?

• No, and Andrew Voss is a prime example.

Hes a wanker with nfi.

Ray Hadleys another.

• I don't believe any of the main commentators on either 9 or fox have played league at NRL level have they? Anyway, for mine commentary is a bit like coaching, the brains of the outfit is not the person at the top. 

• Boooo! I had a male netball coach once and he was the best but never played himself. 

like I said there’s blokes commentating that can’t read the game for jack shit but there’s some blokes on here who’s analysis is far better and worthy... good to learn from for me and I might suggest quite a few blokes on here too. 

• Doesn't bother me Male or female Ex player or  non player I just wish that whoever is calling the game actually called the game I want to hear the names of players with the ball and names of the tacklers and the reason why the penalties are called or not called I don't mind the knowledgeable banter or humour when it is called for but the non stop dribble that we have to put up with is beyond ridiculous This Is not "This Is Your Life" Just call the bloody game!!! Imagine you're listening to the gee gees and Kenny breaks into the history of the jockey riding the favourite who's back in the pack All the while it's a photo finish up the front You'd be going spare... Just call the bloody game!!!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Mannah-Brow replied to EelsAgeMe's discussion Most embarrassing game in our history?
"Smartest  and best balanced comment I have read on here in a long time."
6 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"They can do that but as I've told you for years that has to come from above Arthur's pay grade if they don't pull the trigger whose the real problem here."
53 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"The heats only got to come from one place Hugo and that's the people above Arthur's pay grade.All they have to do is make the decision.It's not that complicated really.I don't understand why everyone who wants the coach gone are moaning.I been…"
1 hour ago
"Actually the deeper the hole gets the more me as a fan sticks.I don't run away when it gets tough.It's served me well during my life time,"
1 hour ago
More…