Arthur extends contract until the end of 2022 season

The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce that Brad Arthur has extended his contract which will see him remain Head Coach at the Club until the end of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership season.

Parramatta Eels Chairman Sean McElduff said the Club had been in discussions with Brad and his management regarding an extension to ensure he remained the leader of our NRL program.

“Our Club remains focused on delivering to our Members and Fans sustainable success in our Football program and that means being proactive in planning ahead.

“It is our view that Brad is the best choice to lead our NRL team as Head Coach and we wanted to make sure that this key building block was secure as we execute our football strategy over the next couple of years.

Parramatta Eels CEO Jim Sarantinos said, “Brad and the playing group have built on the progress made in 2019 to deliver a strong start to the 2020 season but I know that they see this as only the platform from which to build on.

“Our retention and recruitment planning means that we have a strong squad that is locked in for an extended period and we believe Brad’s strong relationship with this playing group will be an important factor in achieving our goals as a Club.

Brad Arthur said he was very happy to have the support of everyone at the Club and is looking forward to working with the current playing group on the journey ahead.

“I’m really pleased that the Club has the confidence in me to continue to lead the team towards our goal of bringing success to our Members and fans.

“Our playing group has evolved quite considerably over the last couple of years and they are determined to drive high standards to ensure we achieve our goals.

“I am looking forward to the challenge of leading this group and continuing to develop our emerging junior talent in an exciting period for our Club and I know that the Blue and Gold Army will be behind us every step of the way.

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2020/08/05/arthur-extends-contract-until-the-end-of-2022-season/

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This extension is also about recruitment and retention. Players are hesitant to sign if they don't know who their coach will be. He's signed for two more seasons and that will help in continuing to recruit players we want.

• I'm not against it, but the timing is interesting. Are there potential players who want to come here, or current players considering looking elsewhere?

Possibly not. The timing of this is just a bit unusual.

• We are better than last year Frankie, that is an achievement. 

• Ok Frankie, leave it until end of season and sack BA.  Sounds great as there are or will be a stack of candidates to replace him, Seabold, Green, Pay, Toovey, Kearney, only Seabold not on the open market yet. Take ya pick as to the best of them.

• Colin who said anything about sacking him? He is already under contract for next year so what is the rush to extend?  If he fails in the finals this year he has nexr year to try again and earn a new contract. 

• Ok! fair call Frankie, will refrase what I said. He had a year to run on his contract so no need to rush an extension beyond 2021. For me some aspects are raised on that include other clubs who have coaches that they want to keep more often than not extend the contracts earlier than the last minute especially if the team is a winning team. Also that helps bring in players who want to play with a winning club.

Its taken BA a while to finally get a team capable of winning, I only know of one coach we have had that won premierships at the eels in his 3 year Tenure and that was Gibbo, who only stayed 3 years at each appointment, win or lose. Monie took over and wone 2 out of 3.  The current roster is the best we have had for some time, and I would believe it will be improved on during this off season.

With the current coaching merry go round come circus, I don't see that going away for any time soon so, for the club to sign BA for extension of one year, I don't see that as being a bad decision atm, time will tell though, but the big word -- Stability-- does indicate that the club overall is marking its future in a careful path, rather than through a mine field. If 2021 is a belly up year, easy enough to replace and pay out if seen that way. 

• OK colin - please give us some examples of the MASSIVE wins we have had and how much hardware it has put in our showcase?

At this point in time the Eels are nothing more than also rans, and will remain so until we bring home a significant trophy.

I would love to see Bushy's photo album the way he always gets a contract extensions 18 months to 2 years prior to his current one expiring. Second (or possibly third) time the club has moved early

• OK colin - please give us some examples of the MASSIVE wins we have had and how much hardware it has put in our showcase?

At this point in time the Eels are nothing more than also rans, and will remain so until we bring home a significant trophy.

I would love to see Bushy's photo album the way he always gets a contract extensions 18 months to 2 years prior to his current one expiring. Second (or possibly third) time the club has moved early

• Mushy, please show me where I have mentioned MASSIVE wins?

And, I am gathering that you believe that Bushy is the only coach to have been given a one year extension to their contract with one year still to go.

• Sensitivity and Dementia can be a bitch colin.

I read your reply to imply some massive wins.

What you failed to realise is Brad Arthur was given an early extension previously with just a 46% winning percentge. I could be wrong but at the time he was declared a "must have" coach for the Eels.

Currently he is a 49% winning coach and once again he appears to be the must have coach.

My objection is to the unnecessary extensions given before they are due. This decision should have been made at the end of this season imo.

I would still love to see his photo album.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coach Nepotism posted a discussion
received_213857050578110.mp4
1 minute ago
Cumberland Eel replied to EelsAgeMe's discussion Most embarrassing game in our history?
"I don't have membership as it's too expensive and the money goes into Brad Arthur's pocket. Why pay someone who doesn't do his job. I've been supporting the Eels since I was about 10 yrs old and I'm now 66. They're the most disappointing and…"
2 minutes ago
LB replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"Look at my most disappointing, he is there."
3 minutes ago
BEM replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"Yep.
Anyone with half a brain could see that Brown at halfback was a stupid idea.
He runs around like a chook with its head cut off.
Another coaching master-stroke from Bushie. "
3 minutes ago
More…