A win is a win: My Observations

Happy we won, even though that last pass call was wrong and would have cost us the game if called correctly.  That said, we have been on the wrong end of these calls for a long time.  Bloody tough and grafting game. More positives again from this team but just wanted to flag some of my observations:

1.  Why is it that Blake Ferguson seems to have become so easily man handled?  Got smashed quite a few times tonight and has been for a few games this year.  Is he still reovering from his illness?  6'4" and athletic as hell and getting smashed.  Is it Blake, is he being targeted, or just a reflection on the games defence?  Add to that that he as started to get the droppsies on runs where he just needs to hit it up and secure the ball.

2.  We build a solid lead of 18-2 based on disciplilned play, earning protracted sets of six and controlling the game and then appear to lose focus and discipline allowing Manly to creep back into the game. That is a concern given the good old history of Parra sitting on a lead in years past.

3. Where were the support players with Jenkos massive run? He should have had options and if he had support players, we would, no doubt have scored again.  We got caught asleep with this instance on attack.

4. RCG is killing it for us.  Just needs to stop the dropped balls.

4. Junior Paulo is playing like a beast.

5. Mitchell Moses is going fantastically well and his defence has improved remarkably. So much more committed.

6.  Gutho is a champion and always there. Worth every dollar we pay him.

7. Our defence has improved massively but can still be exposed out wide by the better teams, like tonight.

8. Reed Mahoney is getting better and better and WILL be an origin player in my opinion.

9. Dylan Brown is composed, his defence is amazing but would love to see him do more in attack. Have to keep reminding myself he is only 19.

10. We now have three or four fantastic kicking options.

11. We now have a massive and athletic forward pack with height and size,  off loading options and depth on our bench, which bodes well.

12.Jennings is back on fire.

13.  We nw seem to have the right balance and depth.  Only time will tell.

I like this team, the balance and how it is progressing and developing.  When we do lose a game it will not be the end of the world.  I think it will be a learning. The team seems to finally be playing with passion, pride, commitment and dedication to each other.

EE

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The forward pass call wasn't guaranteed a try anyway as both Dylan Brown & Lane played to the whistle and clocked off on the play  It would have been almost certainly saved

• Brad Fittler made that exact point!

• Gutho  is nowhere worth what we paid for him . Great competitor  but is far from being a star player. In my opion he is getting  in the way in attack .Can only pass right to left opposition read and defend against us when we are attacking in our own half because of this and why good judges don't rate us as serious premiership threat .you can count on one hand how many times he hits the sweep play pass. For parra to be a serious contender they need a quality fullback that can pass both sides and can attack both left and right edge at the moment gutho is overruling the attack inside our half and is not good enough to set our centres and wingers up with a passing game . His a great  runner of the ball but lacks serious speed to scare opposition in there own half and that pass to Ferguson  and miss tackle at end of game lacked leadership and quality that good fullbacks have .He gives his best but lacks that real quality we need to win a comp .

• I think we have a more balanced attack now which means really Gutho doesn't have to hit both sides.I like Gutho the most when he sniffs the middle around guys like Evans and Paulo that's when he'll be most dangerous.I swear this is where he'll do most damage around tiring fowards.

The right side don't need that back do or play and you want to see Matto Moses and co play more direct anyways.

• He outplayed one of the best fullbacks in the comp last night who is on 1m a year, not the 650 or so the king gets.

he is no teddy, but he up there. Always sniffing around and supporting like all good fullbacks do and makes a lot of metres doing so.

• Great appraisal mate.

How sweet is it to beat those A holes Manly. It's even better when they think they've been robbed :)

• Thanks Kram and yep, sure is!

• We were the better team last and Oregon's try was a try.  Evans has been great off the bench. Maintain the rage Parra.

• Great blog EE.

Tend to agree with the majority of what you say.

I will add that the best Parra sides offer up a lot more second phase play than we are currently seeing.

Although we offloaded 14 times vs Manlys 11, we don't seem to be offloading as often as we have over the years or utilised our distinct advantage on the edges. We've got a an embarrassment of riches on the edges through our great ball playing second rowers Lane & Matto. If we can reintroduce more second phase and utilise these players out wide I feel as though we will almost impossible to beat.

But I like being 4-0 and feel we've got a tonne of improvement still in us...

• Nice and totally agree!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Prof. Daz’s discussion was featured
Sigmund Freud once said that “one day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful”. With the Eels on-field general and kicking maestro, Mitchell Moses, out for up to 8 weeks with a fractured foot, the Eels will need…
23 minutes ago
Jake replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Could it be Maika to make way for Lomax.
Round 4 deadline. Maika suspended until round 4. Hmmm"
25 minutes ago
Prof. Daz posted a discussion
Sigmund Freud once said that “one day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful”. With the Eels on-field general and kicking maestro, Mitchell Moses, out for up to 8 weeks with a fractured foot, the Eels will need…
31 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Well Lomax will be a lot more expensive, Carty would have been on minimum for most of the time and probably only 350/400 now. Carty is not that marketable unless he sell himself attached to the coach LOL"
1 hour ago
More…