A Name to watch in 2021

For 2021, Centre has become the focal point of concern surrounding the Eels roster. Having Michael Jennings & Waqa Blake, a terrific combination, until you noticed Jennings age was catching up to him and Blake's reading of defences was abysmal. Jennings had a contract til the end of 2022, thinking we had a centre for the future with no concerns moving forward, sign Opacic for a bit of depth and we are set. Jennings gets done for drugs, Opacic is now in-line to go from depth player to full-time starter (though experts have Oldfield as the centre for some reason which i highly doubt will happen) and though he is an ok signing, it was him being a back-up that was a great idea not a starter.

Looking at options for 2021 and 2022, they are slim with Staggs being the only one worth while spending money on. Which brings me to juniors, hearing names like Hughes, Hollis and Arthur, they are heard because they are either in the squad or tauted to be in the squad. Though one name has flown under the radar to which Parramatta have a very keen eye on is William Penisini or Viliame Penisini. An 18 year old Centre, who O'neill has already mentioned as a player they have locked up for the future. If that is the case, then i believe it is on a development contract. Penisini in 2018 played under 16's NSW then backed up the following year to play under 18's NSW, had COVID not hit he would have played for the under 18's again this year. A not very tall centre, though he is a hard running ball carrier, in the mold of Willie Tonga and Justin Hodges. 

For Parramatta, this is the way forward, bringing these kids to replace ageing players instead of buying can help any squad, cheaper contracts from juniors earlier one allow wiggle room for the rest of the squad and so on.

Will Penisini debut this year? it depends on injuries and how the season is going to the point where if BA is feeling pressured he may do like 2018 and blood juniors as a way to keep his job.

Where O'Neill said Penisini was locked up is in this article, have to go down a bit to find it

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/panthers/penrith-supplying-a-flood-of-nrl-talent-to-its-rivals-but-will-it-force-matt-burton-to-leave-the-club/news-story/e0cd094d6e1cc1252471606c801195a4

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• He sounds promising. Who was the young guy which played a few of our trials I think he played a bit of centre a bit of fullback and possibly a bit of 5/8 of hooker? I remember thinking he looked the goods 

• Wasn't it Sean Russell ? 

• BA isn't in the habit of blooding too many under 20 players.

I would like to see a young centre come in.

• Yep time to try a junior. John Fonua was the guy I was talking about does anyone know if he's still at the club? 

• John Fonua played in the eels trial against the Riff at Bega this year, he came on relatively late as did several others with Dunster coming on earlier. Fonua scored a crazy try near full time to have the game drawn, he had a freakish side step and some speed as well.

From what I heard, he like many other players got the brush off owing to Covid and the cancellation of the CC comp along with several other competitions.  The eels have put out one team list that being the Jersey Flegg/under 21's comp and only player I know of is Karl Scheider who was a development player this last season.

Its possible that Fonua may be named in the CC team though but that's pure speculation

• Ok mate thanks 

• Yes, i've been wondering about this guy too. Looked really promising but never seems to get a mention.

• Hopefully with the lower grades Back in action next year some of these young guys will get a look in 

• BA and his two assistants arent likely to blood a kid any time soon.  He is so focussed on the ' effort on effort ' mindset that bhe cant risk a kid making 2 mistakes a game. The other side is that the kid gets tough experience against men and may actualy shine and be the centre we all want.  I am sure Bradman BEST, STAGGS, COATES, CRICHTON all had shockers at times early on. They are all now starters.  BA needs to back these kids.  

• What about young Ethan Parry who went back to Tamworth during the lockdown.He looked promising.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Muttman replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"He's a goer for sure. Runs really hard and enjoys the contact. He's an upgrade on Sivo for sure "
54 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Tex Hoy
"Boy, could we do with a winger and a back up fullback? What do you reckon Bradley, could he be a back up? Is he better than say Lume lumie. some of those other first graders currently playing in reggies?
Actually I know fcuk all about him. just a…"
56 minutes ago
Axel posted a discussion
Why Friday's clash with the Dolphins might be a tipping point for Arthur and the EelsMike Meehall WoodEditorROAR Friday night’s clash between Parramatta and the Dolphins is likely to be a hot one – and not just because the game is being held in the…
1 hour ago
Poppa replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Tex Hoy
"Listen clearly Bradley.....I know that's what your mother used to say, and of course I understand that mum was very strict with you....
But I did not mention lateral movement, I actuallly said he is a good mover that shows promise, poor defensively…"
1 hour ago
More…