A brief history of soup

Evidence of the existence of soup can be found as far back as about 20,000 BC.[3] Boiling was not a common cooking technique until the invention of waterproof containers (which probably came in the form of clay vessels). Animal hides and watertight baskets of bark or reeds were used before this. To boil the water hot rocks were used. This method was also used to cook acorns and other plants.

The word soup comes from French soupe ("soup", "broth"), which comes through Vulgar Latin suppa ("bread soaked in broth") from a Germanic source, from which also comes the word "sop", a piece of bread used to soak up soup or a thick stew.

My favourite is pea and ham soup PT’s favourite is duck soup. What’s your favourite?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I like tomato soup or a nice home made chicken soup with barley in it. The Eels should look for a good soup company sponsor.

• And sell It at the games instead of beer. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • Fcuk off BigdEEl.... no one asked for your opinion!

• Pop, never mind Big E he's a bit thick like my soup 

• Now the question I need to ask here is Minestone actually a soup or a stew?

The history of Minestone is even more interesting than that of soup.

You cannot put a true Minestone on a cup and drink it, so imo it really is a misnomer calling it soup.

• Mrs Slugg's favourite Chinese dish was sweet and sour fried short soup which is nether soup or stew. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Sir Col "THE NODDY MUSHROOM" replied to Poppa's discussion Style of Football to play
"Should have named yourself Kotter, then we could give you a proper Welcome back."
11 minutes ago
Sir Col "THE NODDY MUSHROOM" replied to Poppa's discussion Style of Football to play
"LOL - if he was well mannered and at the Nursing Home no wonder he got hit over the head trying to knock some sense into him."
15 minutes ago
"So you must have said - Did someone say KFC, which raised the angst in others and they hit you over the head with the bucket.
You are giving me angst son, settle down."
17 minutes ago
Sir Col "THE NODDY MUSHROOM" replied to Chuck Norris.'s discussion 3 spots REMAINING. 4 With JENNGS . Does our Squad Have The depth ?
"Who is Prudence?
I think we have grabbed the best of what is left, just need to get him up to speed.
Atm there would not be a centre equal to Jennings on the market - only "potential" players."
21 minutes ago
More…