Going into 2021 with only a squad of 26 players at this stage, we do not have the depth to cover injuries whilst being competetive ?

We desperatley need at least TWO, NAME  signings . A Centre and Prop IMO. With two junior rosters fillers.

Outside of our arguably top 17 , the remaining 18 to 26 must take up the slack. Considering on average most clubs use 27 players each season.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PANIC first and think later - recipe for failure Chuck and we have had more than our unfair share of that chyt.

• No PANIC you old FART. Prudence. Replace like for like. Preferably Better, but the pool is DRAINING FAST

• Who is Prudence?

I think we have grabbed the best of what is left, just need to get him up to speed.

Atm there would not be a centre equal to Jennings on the market - only "potential" players.

• Prop - We currently have 5 props - Junior Paulo, Reagen Campbell-Gillard, Oregon Kafusi, Sam Hughes and David Hollis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Niukore may have played prop for some of last season off the bench.

Hughes and Hollis have been promoted to cover the loss of Utoikamanu, Evans and Alvaro. We probably would only need a back-up at most, with Kafusi taking Evans' spot on the bench, and Hughes and Hollis covering the loss of the other two players.

Centre probably does need filling. Opacic is a very solid backup, but we probably do need someone more electric in attack. Dunster is probably too young, and Oldfield again is a solid backup along the backline but isn't a starter. Making a push for Braidon Burns (as has been previously mentioned on this site) is probably the most realistic option as a replacement.

However, Eels are looking much stronger in the second row, and in hooker. Other than those positions, the team is looking like it is set for next season.

• This reply was deleted.
      • Haha thanks Poppa.

I went back and read your earlier analysis on the amount of middle forwards we have. I feel like Hipgrave and Papalli are more dynamic - probably more suited to lock and ball playing as opposed to crunching out the big metres in the middle like the ones I have named. I think there is a growing gap between locks and props. However, I completely agree a bigger name such as Lodge is surplus to requirements. Perhaps a player of a similar level to Teripo could be useful to bolster the depth.

• This reply was deleted.
          • You raise a fair point poppa. I'd hope they make some appearance this season, but props usually take a bit longer to get going. But as you say, one or two injuries and they'll be right up the pecking order

I wouldn't mind seeing Nuikore making more of an appearance in prop. With Nathan Brown at lock and heaps of other options, I reckon he's in the mould to be a player similar to Junior Paulo in regards to his ball playing ability. Am looking forward to seeing how BA manages his forwards.

And I didn't know that! Very interesting. The amount I would give to have seen the eels live in the 80s!! Hopefully Eels come close to those days sooner rather than later

• I hope Both our youg guys get as much game time as possible.

If RCG and Paulo go down, we are in a go forward hole

• someone said we have rep players, hmmm do we? For some stupid reason RCG didn't get a game (not his fault there, or is it), JNR wasn't utilised as well as he could be and N Brown, well I mean, hmmm, did rep footy (SOG) show we have rep players or show we might have rep players and then again we might not??

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"So that says we have a coach that can beat Penrith . The fact we lost to the tigers says we have a poor attitude . And we have for decades. On and off feild leadership is as big a problem as coaching. And that may not necessarily only apply to the…"
49 minutes ago
Poupou Escobar replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
""Friday nights game should have been nearly closed out in the first 25 minutes. We had enough ball and field position to take the wind out of the Phins."
You really think so? At halftime we had 50% possession: iStats/NRL (championdata.com)
If we had…"
1 hour ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"You know that 40/20 is not a persons real name , nor does it divulge who said person is off screen , ya Wally. Could you try any harder to find an excuse to be outraged ?   What the difference between mentioning a podcasters alias and talking about…"
2 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Mattersons a Christian sect member, pretty sure he's a convert from Catholic. Confusing I know , considering he acts Jewish. "
2 hours ago
More…