3 New Signings

The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce the signings of three new players who will commence training in the 2021 pre-season.

Centre Tom Opacic has agreed to a one year deal with the Eels.

Tom made his NRL debut in 2016 for the Brisbane Broncos and has spent the past two seasons playing for the North Queensland Cowboys in his 43 NRL game career. 

Isaiah Papali’i has agreed to a two year deal, after playing 59 NRL games for the Warriors since 2017.

He has also represented New Zealand and Samoa.

Hooker Joey Lussick has also agreed to a one year deal after spending time in the Eels pathways in 2014 and 2015.

He went on to make his NRL debut for Manly in 2017 and has spent the last three seasons in the UK Super League playing for Salford.

Parramatta Eels General Manager of Football Mark O’Neill said, “We are excited to welcome Tom, Isaiah and Joey and I have no doubt that these three men will be a great cultural fit with our Club.”

“All players will add class, depth and balance to our overall squad and they will be relocating from their current destinations in readiness for the 2021 pre-season,” O’Neill said.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You know what is fascinating me lately - players are now dictating to clubs.

I "want" this spot and run on, I "want" early release because my cat has fleas, I want and you will give.

Players and their managers better start treading cautiously imo, clubs may decide THEY are running the team and NO contracts from anyone may be the result.

Storm still have the upper hand with JAC, if they say NO then he is toast util 2022.

SMH August 2020.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-set-to-stop-players-cashing-in...

NRL set to stop players cashing in on broken contracts after Addo-Carr case
      Clubs are set to be banned from offering players more money to break their contracts, with Melbourne winger's manager seeking 'fullback money' from S…
  • FARK ME !
    Someone else said it, then I expanded on it.

You guys would complain if we signed the entire Kangaroos squad PLUS both SOO teams, and their coaches.

I fear the pain of this ORF SEEZUN MALADY & MADNESS is going to be more than most will be able to stand.

• Completely agree

• Actually I think it was you who started that line of thought Mutts - well done.

• Agree, not a bad start when you just lost 11 players. 

• Sadly Papalilii s0unds like a bit 0f a d0pe, gut d0ne f0r DUI in 2019 and refused t0 give the c0ps a breath test.

Lets h0pe he d0esnt let us d0wn with d0ing anything stupid..

• C'mon Snake - he is a RL forward, very few of them are known for their intelligence.

Was he driving a Commodore at the time? lol

• Well I was searching for a highlight reel and found an interview with the young fella instead.Seems like a nice kid,maybe he is shy and nervous but by the sound of things,English is definitely his second language .

• I think the three signings look solid. It was obvious we were short in centre and hooker cover this year and we have lost a number of middle forwards:

Opacic looks like a good signing covering an area we had little depth (outside backs);

Papali’i  - quality signing. My only concern is that he apparently wants to play edge not middle. Between Lane, Matteraon, Niukore, Stone (although playing more as a lock) we have decent competition for two edge spots. We have lost some middles with Evans, Terepo and Utoikamanu and that seems to be our area of greatest need. However, if Niukore is seen as more of a middle bench player and Lane shifts into the middle at times during the game to provide what Evans provided (different body shape and ability to offload) it may be possible to carry Papali’i  on the bench to move into en edge role for 30-40 minutes per game.

Lussick - provides depth at hooker and has had a good couple of years with Salford who have made the Super League Grand Final (2019) and Challenge Cup Final (2020) in the last two years. Super League isn't as strong as the NRL (Salford Team includes Pauli Pauli, Lee Mossop, Krisnan Inu and Ken Sio) but his form has been decent. However, I can't see him offering much off the bench. He is supposed have decent organisational skills, defence and a kicking game but not the type of player to add spark off the bench.

So overall I think the signings are sound but don't necessarily add what we need. Opacic is solid but doesn't add the backline pace that was found wanting this year, Papali’i is a good player but if he wants to play on the edge adds less value than if added to our middle forward rotation and Lussick provides cover but likely won't get much game time unless Mahoney is injured.

• I think Papalili will surprise everyone and will be a mainstay in the 17. Very strong with a quick play the ball plus he has pace. Good signing 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
47 minutes ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
57 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
57 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We definitely need Lomax more than we need Grieg. Plus I back BA to develop gun forwards if we need to. We already have amazing forwards coming through our Matt, SG and Flegg team."
1 hour ago
More…