2021 Squad

Hi Eels fans, can I divert your attention from the Saturday night final coming this week momentarily and ask about the squad for 2021? Scanning the press apparently we have 10 places available with squads staying at 30 but I have only seen mention of the Eels being mentioned in the player market in regards John Asiata (NQ). I am sure there is more going on behind the scenes but can anyone shed any light on players we are trying to get to the fix the hole for 1/3 of the squad? Appreciate a few of the younguns will step up but we will most likely be missing from the 2020 squad a lot of experience - Evans, Gower, Terepo, Davey, Stefano with others off contract W Smith, Taka, Salmon, Rankin. Any insights would be welcome. Cheers

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• All those guys have either played NRL (and played decently during those games) or have represented their state at junior level. Dunster has done none of that. I will be happy to eat my words because I honestly haven't seen much of Dunster. 

• I hope Dunster is signed again, as he offers the wing position a good young option.

Depending on what happens with Field, and if he heads to England I would not mind Sailor being signed as he offers a bit in backs utility, and has speed and a good step. I wold be surprised if the drags let Dufty go.

• Dragons wont let Ravalwa, Lomax or Dufty go for sure. They all got bright futures if they continue to improve.

• Colin, if we are looking at a player that can play halves or centre I would be chasing Tyrone May, he could be a weapon coming of the bench and a very capable back up in most positions, he is a very versatile player with a lot of skill. Sailor would be a liability in the the centres, he is to small.

• Can't say I have really seen much of May, although his tapes saga is not a good look.

Sailor is more a FB, or halves player, think he also came in at DH at times and took the opposition on with good runs from there.

• May is already playing on the bench for the panthers so he wouldnt come to eels to still play of the bench. Plus he would be closer to the players at panthers. 

• Ramsey is a weapon. He was just about the player of the tournament in the Nines, I'd be happy with him. Can play wing and fullback. 

• Welch and asiata.

• agree

• I would add Tyrone May with Welch and Asiata, that would give us great depth, something we will be lacking next year with the departure of Evans, Gower, Taka, Terepo, Utoikamanu and Field. I don't know how far off Hughs, Hollis and Schneider are but they will probably be in the top 30 next year, so we will need to add some first grade experience to the squad. Even Lachlan Lam would be worth looking at, he has great potential.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
13 minutes ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
23 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
23 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We definitely need Lomax more than we need Grieg. Plus I back BA to develop gun forwards if we need to. We already have amazing forwards coming through our Matt, SG and Flegg team."
30 minutes ago
More…