2021 IS A BIG TEST - DRAW ANALYSIS

As you know the 2021 Draw has been released - https://www.parraeels.com.au/draw/

I wanted to give my thoughts on the draw and why 2021 is going to be a massive test for our side to determine if we are true Premiership contendors or not. By looking at our draw, I think the NRL has now acnkowledged that we are not a regular top 4 side. You'd notice that over the years, the regular top 4 sides, such as the Roosters, Storm, Canberra, etc are usually handed the most difficult draws because they are expected to be able to handle the difficulty well enough as they are considered strong teams. When I look at our draw now, I am starting to see the same thing.

For example, since as long as I can remember, Parramatta were only playing against the Storm and the Roosters only ONCE per season(in the regular season). In 2021, we will be versing both of them TWICE. That's 2 more games where we will be versing quality opposition, whereas in previous seasons, we would have instead versed bottom 8 sides which would've really helped us obtain our top 4 positions. What this means is we are really going to need to step up against the big boys if we want to make the top 4 this year round.

In 2021 we will be:

• Versing the Storm TWICE (Rounds 2 and 24)
  • Versing the Roosters TWICE (Rounds 9 and 20)
  • Versing the Raiders TWICE (Rounds 6 and 19)
  • Versing the Rabbitohs TWICE (Rounds 12 and 21)
  • Rivals game vs Manly TWICE - which are never easy (Rounds 11 and 22)
  • Rivals game vs Panthers TWICE (Rounds 16 and 25)
  • Rivals game vs Bulldogs TWICE - which are annoyingly never easy and are always close encounters ( Rounds 8 and 15)

All of those games are going to be very difficult. That's 14 games out of 25. So what's left?

• Broncos TWICE (Rounds 1 and 7)
  • Sharks ONCE (Round 3)
  • Tigers TWICE (Rounds 4 and 14)
  • Dragons ONCE (Round 5)
  • Warriors ONCE (Round 10 in Brisbane)
  • Knights ONCE (Round 13)
  • Titans ONCE (Round 18)
  • Cowboys ONCE (Round 23)
  • One BYE

Already, looking at the teams we are only versing ONCE, we have Cowboys, Titans, Knights, Warriors, Dragons and Sharks. All games we are expected to win. In season 2020 we had Roosters, Storm, Raiders, Warriors, Titans and Cowboys. In 2019, it was Roosters, Storm, Warriors, Titans, Cowboys and Rabbitohs.

To me, it's clear the NRL are starting to take us more seriously. In the past, those games against the Roosters, Storm, Raiders and Rabbitohs used to be 40 point blow outs, so the NRL deliberatley would not schedule us against them as much as it's not good viewership for ratings. Now, we are expected to compete, so the boys really need to step up this year and deliver.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• GOOD, time we found out exactly what this team is made of.

Time to test the coach in genuine competition.

Very early call but I think we should be able to make a go of it if Bushy gets the right people around him, then if we finish top 4 again we go into the finals with confidence knowing we can compete against the best.

I am really sick and tired of seeing soft draws in the latter part of the season allowing top 4 or 8 finishes, only to find out we were never really in contention anyway.

• Agreed. This season will show us where we are really at.

• You gotta beat whoever is on the opersite end of the field & I don't think a draw can be clasified as hard or easy without knowing what teams will rise & which will fall. Titans had been like getting 2 points before mid 2020, Bronco's finished last - Who Knows.

• We aren't "versing" anyone. But we will be "playing" plenty of teams.

• I hate it when people say that too

• You must be fun at parties

• Oh I reckon Big D would be fun at parties. Word policing can be hilarious. 
        Fine, I'm a geek. Get over it. 😊

• Good to be strrrrreeeetttcchhheeed!!!!! 

• "Versing" isn't a word.“Versing” is thinking that “versus” is a verb, when it's in fact a preposition.

• Thanks Karen, pretty sure this is only blog and not an English assessment. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
4 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
5 minutes ago
Marty replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We'll just been watching Matty John's Late, Hindy n Fletch interviewing Dragons - Lawrie, Lomax n Coach son, gotta say Lawrie n Lomax complete fuckwits. Coach son was pretty cool but other two prime nobs
Dragons can keep Lomax cause we have a No…"
39 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Which is why I asked what you consider expensive? Would you say 500k? 600k?
If these players at up to 600k are classy & not expensive, it's a pretty small window reliant on what's available?
Which brings us back to the development angle, and that…"
46 minutes ago
More…