Why Eels can, and will win the premiership in 2018

Hey Guys! Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the off-season has been taking about Hayne, team lists and possible signings. I'm just going to write a blog about how Eels can and will win a premiership 

1. The Spine

Coming into last year the main question about the Eels is how our spine would go. French, Guth, Norman and Pritchard was a really weak spine with a great squad around them. This year, the spine is the least concern. Gutherson, Norman, Moses and King is a combination that powered Eels to a top 4 finish. Yes, King is injury prone, but W. Smith and Pritchard plus juniors can cover if needed. Gutho also has 2 quality players in Bevan and Hayne that can fill in due to injury. With a whole off-season to combine this spine should be even stronger

2. Depth

BA has set up a quality squad that has ample depth. The amount of differences and debate when team-lists are put up shows that. We have numerous juniors coming through and we have signed Tony Williams and Kane Evans with no major losses in the forwards. Williams is a low-risk, high-reward player. He could sit in Wenty for a year, or come back and pound defences, and provides even more depth if someone gets injured. We also have fantastic depth in the backs. Taka is rumoured to make way for Hayne, Hoffman seems to be a forgotten man. Greg L. (can't spell his last name) also has come up from under 20s

3. The Forwards

Eels have a pack full of no-names. Thats a fact of Parramatta. But, every single player gives their all for the team. Nathan Brown had a fantastic season, and if he can come close it would do wonders for Parramatta. Kane Evans adds size to a pack lacking in it. If Tepai Moeroa can continue to grow with Moses we will be in for a fantastic time on the right edge next season. We also have a fantastic bench for next year. Kenny Edwards adds spark, Vave has size, Scott can organise a defence. The bench in 2017 was really solid, and it should be even better in 2018

4. The Culture

Not one player doesn't like Parramatta. From all accounts the culture among the squad is great, the players love having BA as a coach. Everyone was playing for each other last year, with the passion from every player showing on the field. This will almost certainly help us in 2018

5. Finals experience

The Finals last year was an absolute disaster, but the experience it gives the squad towards the back-end of the season. For us to know what it is like when the pressure is on surely will make the team more determined to make amends next year

Obviously many things can happen in a season, and many things I haven't listed. We also have unanswered questions like how we replace Semi, but I do believe for the first time in ages, Eels have hope for a premiership

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Let's get Napa now!!!
  • Depth??? We have no back up hooker. If King get's injured we're screwed. If you don't believe that look back to last season where we were on the table when Pritchard was hooker... then look where we ended up with King as hooker.

• Thats fair. Every other position has at least another fierce contender though

• Reed Mahoney watch him go when he gets his chance
      • He has ability and guts but his inexperience and poor judgement just about single handedly lost the /20's GF this year.

Ray Stone will be the player to watch coming out of that side and he has a build that would be perfect for a hooker.....he could be anything just lacking a bit in size for the second row.

In saying that I have no idea if he has any experience as a dummy half but he reminds me of a young Ray Price.....which is a helleva tag to put on any young player.

Its interesting now that with the hooker taking a middle forward role or a third prop if you like the balance of where a young lock plays is difficult as you are coming into grade.

A young Johnny Raper would play 5/8.....Ron Coote second row, Brad Clyde could play the modern lock, Wayne Pearce maybe a second row. Ray Price .....who knows....possibly the current lock position.

I suppose what I am saying is you once had 3 back rowers, now you have 2 and a hooker that plays like a half and a lock that plays like a front rower..

• Yeah but at the same time as Pritchard was playing we didn't have Moses either
    • That's all cause of moses
    • Not sure its fair to judge the teams position on king vs pritchard, kaysa was getting better each week. King also played great but there was more to it than just kaysa vs king. 1st king played most or probably all of his games with moses in the team while many of kaysas game were prior to moses' arrival.
      also many of kings game were after semis court hearing and semis performances went from lack luster to amazing.
  • The finals in 2017 was rigged! The Eels should have beaten the Storm but were clearly robbed again!
  • only problem is will hayne be there for season or will he get a better offer, again. and will his odd brilliant play be wiped out by dumb plays and needless penalties.  could of spent $500,000 a lot more wisely.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Graham polkinghorne replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"Wrong. Matt Arthur is playing in the 9 because he earned the right. Mett is a very smart player.
So is Hands and he should be the run on 9 in FG."
7 seconds ago
Graham polkinghorne replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"I agree with ya bud. Junior stated iam the 10 and will wear the 10. Starting or off the bench.
If Ethan is starting as the halfback then he is in the 7."
20 minutes ago
LB replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"There is no excuse for not having Martin in Cup. Just pure negligence."
24 minutes ago
Cʜɪᴇғ - replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"They are getting older and slower Graham and if there's no progression plan and it looks like there is none by the failings of our development,  we are looking down a big black hole with very little chance of getting out. Bushie out."
27 minutes ago
More…