What sort of structure is BA looking at in 2017

Hi 

First of all I will say that I am very proud of what our 2016 team achieved,  

They did what I wanted them to do and that was being RESPECTED for being a hard, committed football team that never gives in. As the year flowed on, the smart SMS and sniggers about our team dropped off.  EVERYONE in the Rugby League World knew that this team was a serious football team, with a tough character not the soft underbelly we were reknown for.     BA take a bow.

With the signings we have made and the talk of who may or may not coming. I am thinking of what type of structure we will be playing in 2017.  I think more than ever the role of the winger is HUGE in our game. The wingers start our sets of, finish our sets off and give us the restarts in most areas of the field.  OUR PRIORITY must be to sign SEMI. He is is the perfect winger and gets very set off to a flyer.  All good teams have the best wingers now,  It is a given. They must be quick, explosive and powerful.   FRENCH is obviously quick and with an instictive football brain, His size is a negative but his ability overcomes that mostly.  HOFFMAN is interesting. Not that excited to be honest but obviously BA sees him as winger who can finish and get the sets starting of well. 

The other key area is dummy half... It all starts from there. The drive, direction, speed and variety.  IDG has toughness, good line speed in defence but limited in all attacking areas.  PRITCHARD has speed and attacking skills but not the level of football brains or toughness in defence and durability to last a game.  THIS is one area we need to strengthen,  I am in favor of moving ROBSON to hooker and giving us kicking options, similar to WALLACE at  Panthers.  ROBSON has great defence technique and would only improve with an off season in that position.  HUNT is being talked as a possible signing and I think he would be a game breaker at No 9 also. 

In 2016,  we were often guilty of playing too much out the back and relying on GORDON to create overlaps which unfortunately he didnt have the pace or the passing game. FRENCH was sensational at that in the later games and I hope he stays there.  The lack of clean ball hurt JENNINGS and I think he should have a better 2017 if we change our structure a bit. I see us playing a lot more direct now with the inclusion of BROWN & VAVE and EDWARDS & MAU on the edges.  Punch it through and create from inside to out off the back of the gaps created in the middle.  By doing this we negate the sliding defence of most sides and cause them to jam in which exposes SEMI,. FRENCH and JENNINGS on the edges.

Looking forward to 2017 so much.  We need to start well, create a new reputation and roll on with it.  

VERY PROUD as always to be a Parramatta Suppoter.....

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think he is going to go with a fullback, two wingers, two centres, two halves, four props (two on the banch), three second rowers (one on the bench), and two hookers (one on the bench).

• If you were a 34 year old halfback, would you want to start playing hooker after agreeing to go around one more season to work with the young guys? I wouldn't, and I don't think Jeff's missus would be too impressed either.

• No you are right. Better to finish off as half back at Wenty playing in front of 600 people each week.

He is a professional footballer. He will make a really good dummy half IMO. His kicking options will add plenty. 

• Great run down good to hear your thoughts. I especially like that you see Semi as a priority and Hunt at hooker. Having said that I would not think that Hunt be that keen on moving to the Eels to play nine.

A friend of mine in Qld believes that there is a real split at the Broncos with some of the youngsters not happy with Bennet. Hunt is one of them. I also think that they are going to have to throw a lot of money at Milford to keep him as well. Milford has already shown that he is willing to chase the dollars.

• I think you'll find that Pritchard is one of the toughest players in the side and leads the line whenever he's on the field.

• Ben Hunt played a utility / hooker role at Broncos yeah ? I remember cause in his first few years he earned me heaps of SuperCoach points . He was a very good dummy half .
    • Wiz

Your right. I am not a stats man but I know he was very good there prior to McCulloch.  We probably wont get him but he would be my no 9.   That way we have options across both sides and danger around the rucks,,

• if we do or don't get Hunt next year I still play robbo at hooker

• Players are so weak minded these days we should only sign players who can show that they can bend spoons with their mind!!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Darren Munro replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"I think it was ok as well. I think in hindsight he should have played asi vs Canberra and kept Blaize at centre."
46 minutes ago
"Or Bennett has already been signed and Ba is doing his best to keep it together. "
49 minutes ago
"Exactly "
50 minutes ago
Strange-eel replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"Flops aren't illegal anymore it seems.
 "
1 hour ago
More…