http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/10/14/roosters-seeking-salary-cap-exemption-salaries/

Cooper Cronk’s availability has the Roosters in dire straits, forcing them to apply for a cap concession on money.

With the club already overburdened with elite talent, the halfback’s free agency has left them no choice but to seek relief from the NRL in order to continue stockpiling blue-chip commodities.

The move comes after they approached league bosses to discuss the possibility of signing the star halfback, only to be told there was a salary cap in place.

The Roosters believe the salary cap could unfairly disadvantage their negotiations with Cronk, particularly the way it caps salaries.

As a result of the unforeseen development, the club has applied for a modest 100 per cent concession on wage spending to help make ends meet.

The Roosters believe exempting salaries from their cap will not only prevent the tragedy of Cronk playing somewhere he’s genuinely needed, it will also reduce the risk of undisclosed payments and getting caught.

Rival clubs were stunned by the club’s request, especially after the historic agreement recently struck that would see players paid the highest declared income in the game’s history.

While still awaiting ratification, all 16 CEOs – including from the Roosters – pledged to pretend player salaries would remain capped at $9.4 million from next season.

However, somewhat unbelievably, it seems a rugby league club has put itself first and gone back on its word.

Cronk has been linked to the Roosters since the possibility arose he could be out of contract at some point in his life.

However, Cronk’s mammoth asking price has meant they could only secure his services by selling off something marquee, like Mitchell Pearce, the Coogee Bay Hotel or, for a long-term deal, Coogee.

This has been suggested despite the club building a substantial war chest, banking millions of dollars releasing Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Aiden Guerra and four million rand releasing Martin Kennedy and his iguanas.

The club was almost thrown a lifeline this week when Blake Ferguson was himself; however, he regrettably avoided a contract termination after being found innocent of any wrongdoing.

However, the Roosters remain confident of securing Cronk’s signature should their request be rebuffed.

They believe they can compile a competitive deal by supplementing a base contract with a barrage of lucrative third-party agreements.

This would see the representative playmaker signed for $25,000 per annum and his name changed permanently to ‘City Ford Cronk’.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is a joke, right?
    • Macy, I read it more than once for that reason, but given the way that certain clubs go on, I would think there is truth in it, after all the ROAR is more sort of independent in their reporters and would be open to challenges by the Nrl and even the clubs if there was no truth in the report.

Adds a bit to the article about the *$$B deal reported in the terrorgraph

• Well said! On a serious note....if I played for the Roosters, gee I would behave myself. One slip and it is "we had to tear up his contract because he isn't what we represent here at the Roosters". Message to Mitch Pearce..."keep your eyes off those sexy bitches.....oh women too!! 

• There's a lot of truth in it, very well said. My favourite bit..."The club was almost thrown a lifeline this week when Blake Ferguson was himself; however, he regrettably avoided a contract termination after being found innocent of any wrongdoing." Haha
  • The NRL has been rigged for years.
  • Colin you would have to think there is an element of truth in this article. It goes to show the level of contempt that the Roosters show to the NRL
    • John, how long would one think on it?  1 or 2 seconds?

• Are you a slow thinker
  • LOL!!  Wouldn't surprise me if the oily grub Greenburg rubber stamps something like this ti keep Uncle Nick happy and for him to keep his job.

• Yep that's the trouble we all believe this possible to actually happen.
      But if the creepy shiny top one does allow this to happen, then honestly believe it'll be one of the last nails in the coffin for how much NRL fans take take of the crap. Seriously believe where Coops goes will be a huge moment for the game, unless the fans can see the club that gets him has made a genuine attempt to offload around $1M off their cap.
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
4 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
5 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
5 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
5 hours ago
More…