PARRAMATTA legend Nathan Hindmarsh expects the Eels to be among the premiership frontrunners in 2018 but he says there’s one area in the roster that needs to be bolstered to make them a match for heavyweights like the Cowboys and Roosters.

Other than the signing of larger than life prodigal son Jarryd Hayne, the Eels have had a relatively quiet off-season on the recruitment front, giving them the advantage of stability as they prepare to better their second week finals exit last year.

Hindmarsh says coach Brad Arthur will miss the impact of matchwinner Semi Radradra — who recently tied his future to rugby union by signing a lucrative two-year deal with French club Bordeaux — but believes there may yet be a silver lining to that story.

Watch every NRL premiership game live in 2018 on Fox Sports. Sign up here to stream for free on a two week trial >

Hayne defends poor pre-seasonHayne defends poor pre-season1:12

So keen was Arthur to secure Radradra’s return in blue and gold, he set aside special funds to entice the star winger back mid-season had he cut ties with French rugby following his stint with Toulon.

With an already strong backline holding the Eels in good stead, Hindmarsh told foxsports.com.au Arthur should use the funds to find the club’s next gun power forward — a position that has never really been filled since the 2014 departure of Fuifui Moimoi.

Fuifui Moimoi was a much loved figure at the Eels.
Fuifui Moimoi was a much loved figure at the Eels.Source: News Corp Australia
“I think our backs are pretty good at the moment, I like our centres as well,” Hindmarsh said.

“Maybe a bit of a power front-rower or a back-rower there, someone to help out Nathan Brown a little bit more.

“Tepai Moeroa I think’s still got a fair bit to learn. He can be good but I think it’s consistency week in and week out for him. Kane Evans is there, but I’m not sure, I’m going back to someone a bit more like Fui Fui, a bit more explosive.

“Someone who’s going to punch through the line and get the sets started for them, get them on the front foot a bit earlier in that set, so a bit more of a power front rower.”

What Hindmarsh is looking for to beef-up Parramatta’s pack is a unique quality that not all NRL clubs can call on.

The Roosters have Dylan Napa, Manly have Marty Taupau and the Cowboys have Jason Taumalolo but the Eels lack a middle forward ballrunner with the explosiveness to compete with those stars.

While Kane Evans looks set to be a solid addition to Parramatta’s pack, the qualities he will bring to Arthur’s side will be more silk and subtlety than sledgehammer.

Kane Evans will give the Eels’ pack a point of difference.
Kane Evans will give the Eels’ pack a point of difference.Source: News Corp Australia
“I saw what he did for the Roosters and he’s a big, tall, lanky bloke,” Hindmarsh said.

“I don’t mind the buy there, he’s got a good late offload when he can get his arms free, which is good. It creates some good second phase play for the halves, which Mitchell Moses and Corey Norman will enjoy playing off the back of.”

Ultimately, says Hindmarsh, it will be the ability of the key playmakers — Moses, Norman and fullback Clint Gutherson — that will determine Parramatta’s fate in 2018.

“I was a bit hesitant when they purchased Moses, considering his form at the Tigers at the time,” Hindmarsh said.

“But I think he’s come on in leaps and bounds. I’m quite glad he’s at the Eels at the moment. I think their combination is starting to work well.

“You probably would think that Norman is the shot caller there but I think last year Moses gained that confidence to start taking control of a few games and his kicking game was outstanding, so it’s a great combination at the moment.

Corey Norman and Clint Gutherson will play a key role for the Eels.
Corey Norman and Clint Gutherson will play a key role for the Eels.Source: Getty Images
“ ... We’ve seen in previous years how good Gutho is around the ball and he got put out on the wing in one of those games last year and the team wasn’t themself. The spark wasn’t quite there.

“But I could have Bevan French at fullback as well. I think he’s a talented young player who’s learnt a lot under Brad Arthur.

“He’s put a bit of weight on and he’s understanding what it’s about to play NRL week in, week out, rather than just play under 20s, so he’s learnt a lot there.

“But Gutho definitely has to be around the ball, and I think the thing for Gutho is he’s been good in so many positions, it’s hard for him to nail one down.

“It’s a good thing for Brad Arthur though.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• He never actually mentioned the player we should have bought.

• You know. I think that ah. We should get. Evans is good.  Big guy. And ah just think that we ah. 

• He did. He mentioned Fui, he is free for a come back after being sacked lol.

• Watching Catalans v Wigan the other day and was astounded by the Welsh international no8 huge fella busted the line every time he carted it up, looked mean n no nonsense but shit can’t remeber his name, you fellas gotta have a look at him
  • That's the press for you.

Hindy was referring in general to a "bash and batter type cannonball forward".

"Dylan Napa, Manly have Marty Taupau and the Cowboys have Jason Taumalolo but the Eels lack a middle forward ballrunner with the explosiveness to compete with those stars."

Peni Terepo can be this is he can learn to hold onto the pill and play for longer amounts of time.

• You could be right about Terepo. He's probably the closest we have in that regard. Peni looked good in the few games he played last year. If he can strings more games together and hold onto the ball he could be that impact player we need. I reckon BA has a plan though - he knows what's needed and will do everything he can to fill that spot somehow.

• Strangely enough, speaking to someone on the coaching staff they were keen to add a player that Hindy described. But, as they said, who was available - there wasn't one to do that job that wasn't contracted. That's part of the reason  they. Have kept some funds aside for any possible early/mid season releases that would help the club.

• Yes and BA has repeatedly explained this situation but some people keep banging on about how we should have signed a big front rower. The club wants to but there is no-one available.

• Agreed on those comments; Hindy does not really say much but he says a bit. We want that big prop who will carry tacklers along; as we seemed to miss this at times last year; i guess its hard when no one is out there. We have to wait and see how the current squad goes; and how the props go. 

We will be fit as I believe.....and hope that brings good discipline with reduced ref issues...

• He said a gob full with marbles in the mouth.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"500k for May is well worth it. Penrith know what they'll get from him every week but Lomax is inconsistent, right now he's playing his best football because he's advertising himself to other clubs. When his attitude is down his game can be  poor.…"
3 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
1 hour ago
MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
7 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
8 hours ago
More…