Due to the club stating that Takairangi has been training in the forwards (ie., will play in the forwards this year) it answered the question where Hayne will play (ie. Centre).  But it has thrown some other questions up such as the following:  

Q1.  Should Takairangi start in the backrow with Moeroa or Ma'u dropping to the bench?  

Q2.  Should Takairangi move to the bench with Edwards and Scott?  If so then we only have one genuine frontrower on the bench being either Alvaro or Evans.  If we have Edwards and Takairangi on the bench at the same time then we cannot have Smith and or Pritchard on the same bench.    

Q3.  Should Takairangi start the season for Wenty?

Q4.  Do we need two genuine frontrowers on the bench, or is one enough?    

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Evans will be in the top 17 and would be on very good coin.  Evans was only dropped to Wyong after he signed with us and when he played for Wyong he was streets ahead of every other forward on the field.  He wasn't dropped due to poor form.  He was punished and dropped for leaving the Roosters.    

Takairangi did play in the backrow for the Gold Coast prior to coming to Sydney.  I think Taka knows he is too slow to continue playing in the centres.  Against fast centres BA would switch Semi and Taka in defence as Taka struggled with fast centres getting on his outside.  As a secondrower Taka will be very mobile (slow centre, but fast forward).  Taka also has a good off load so we should have even move second phase play if he plays in the forwards (could be a good move).  Being 6'4'' Taka also gives our pack some height along with Evans.    

BA has stated a few things such as Taka has to be in the 17.  He also has stated Smith has to be in the 17.  BA also dropped Vave and brought in Kaysa for the last game last year with no match fitness, therefore BA does have a high opinion on him.  

The 13 that runs out onto the field in the first half against Newcastle trial will highly likely be the starting team for the Penrith game.  

• This reply was deleted.
    • I would suspect Evans would be on Mannah and Scott money, not Brown money.  

• THE team looks defensively better with Hayne on the wing and Takarangi in the centres.

• I'm not too sure who is the better alround defender - Takairangi or Hoffman.  Takairangi is very strong fronton but does struggle to read the block play and would arguably be the slowest centre in the game, particularly last year.  The very fact Semi had to defend in the centres last year was writing on the wall that Takairangi was in the transition of doing a Ben Smith.    

• No he shouldn’t start in backrow; we have enough back rowers tbh

I don’t know where he is; maybe in wenty or bench; but it depends on whether we carry hooker on the bench (and no not the hookers from the streets);  we need one or two props on bench and a 2nd rower or 2. 

To me BA will amend as per the teams we play.

• I not concerned about balance of side with taka as starting back rower with moreoa and Edwards on bench. With Evans, Mannah and Alvaro we have 3 solid front rowers.
    Then add both Edwards and moreora who are big boys and more then capable of playing as middle forward for periods of a game when required. Brown has also proven aggression can replace size to make an effective middle forward.
    Yes Edwards has good ball playing ability and is dangerous out wide but he could manage small stints in middle to cover the front rowers as could Moreora. If Moreoa overcomes shoulder issues, with his young age and potential I see him developing into quality middle forward as I don't think he has ability play strong 80 mins on edge against the quicker and fitter guys.
  • BA mentioned a few weeks back that Takkas needs to be in the 17. That suggests there'll be a spot for him, most likely on the bench. The starting 13 is pretty much set, Evans will be there with Mannah IMO. The bench most definitely is not. I have a strong inkling that BA will go with Scott, Taka, Matagi/Alvaro & Edwards aa his bench. The reports & opinions of the TCT suggest Tep will be used as a prop so that we only need one on the bench. So that one is a wait and see. It really will be interesting if everyone gets through the trials and is fit for selection in Rd 1. Once we get an injury or two anf suspensions, these decisions will sort themselves. But for now it's a wide open race for the 3 bench spots (Kenny is a cert.
    • Alvaro is also a certainty. Def in front of Matagi

• 1. Takairangi is no where near as good as Moeroa or Ma'u

2. Cannot afford a small bench. It should be a fight between Scott, Edwards, Smith & Takairangi for two spots on the bench

3. Probably unless he shows more in the trials than the other 3.

4. Definitely.... look back at last years finals.

• At 6'4'' and 110kg Taka is bigger then Scott, Edwards, Terepo, Matagi, Alvaro, Ma'u, Mannah and Moeroa.  If Taka is on the bench we don't lose any size, but gain it.  Taka on the bench becomes a very important player to the team as he can at wing, centre, 5/8, lock, and edge secondrow.  Due to his size he could also play as a frontrower and take that first hit up.  Therefore, when you start to analyse Taka's versatility he becomes a vital cog in the wheel.  

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Mannah-Brow replied to EelsAgeMe's discussion Most embarrassing game in our history?
"Smartest  and best balanced comment I have read on here in a long time."
4 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"They can do that but as I've told you for years that has to come from above Arthur's pay grade if they don't pull the trigger whose the real problem here."
51 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"The heats only got to come from one place Hugo and that's the people above Arthur's pay grade.All they have to do is make the decision.It's not that complicated really.I don't understand why everyone who wants the coach gone are moaning.I been…"
1 hour ago
"Actually the deeper the hole gets the more me as a fan sticks.I don't run away when it gets tough.It's served me well during my life time,"
1 hour ago
More…