State of Origin expansion

In my view State of Origin should be expanded

It served it's purpose when most players where only from NSW and Qld. 

This format is now outdated. 

Whilst this will always be the traditional clash I think it needs to be reformatted into a four team series.

Only NRL players are considered.

1 NSW

2 Qld

3 NZ

4 Other (Obviously team name would need to be decided. Includes players from England, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, PNG, Cook Islands, NT, WA, Vic, SA etc)

I would opt for a shorter season (Maybe 24 rounds)

Rd 1

NSW vs NZ

Qld vs  Other ( maybe united territories)

Rd 2 

NSW vs Other (maybe renegades)

Qld vs NZ

R3 

NSW vs Qld

NZ vs Others

Top two teams play in Grand Final

Four games instead of 3 and it means more players get rep duties.

I reckon it would be a cracker of a tournament.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sorry I don't think that would work other sports have tried and failed, NSW v's QLD is Origin change it and you will kill it. They won't get rid of the goose who lays the golden Egg.

• Should widen the net

but keep it NSW vs Queensland 

• Why not just change the rules so that anyone at all can play for Qld? Kiwis , fijians fuck it , even blokes from nsw can if they choose to, that will even up the teams a little and stop Nsw from dominating every series, i mean let's admit it, it is starting to get a little boring and predictable.
    • Now that would be awesome.
      Wait a minute..........
  • I fail to agree with this and nor the logic; it is origin, it rates well and should not be tampered with. Simple. It should only ever be for NSW / Qld; and its called tradition. NZ have tests etc to play.

• This is just a bad idea. The SOO interrupts the premiership for the worse now. The NRL have a great milking cow in the SOO but simply cant afford to let it get any bigger.

If they do it will be at the expense of the NRL premiership

• You are right John. The NRL competition pretty much sinks into the background while the SOO circus is going on. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great product, but for that six rounds in the middle of the season, there might as well not be any NRL at all.

• Bingo
  • Agree 6 weeks is too long, play the games over 3 consecutive weeks, rep players would sit out of club games for the first 2 weeks then if fit enough can play for their club on the 3rd weekend.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
1 hour ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
2 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
2 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
2 hours ago
More…