Some persepctive on the salary cap

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/eels-hold-out-hope-for-hayne-amid-plans-for-4m-war-chest-from-2020-20181108-p50evh.html

Eels hold out hope for Hayne amid plans for $4m war chest from 2020

Adrian Proszenko
By Adrian Proszenko
8 November 2018 — 8:00pm

Jarryd Hayne may have given up on signing with Parramatta, but the club hasn’t given up signing him just yet.

The Eels are in a salary cap bind that has left them with just $200,000 to offer Hayne. However, that pain will be short lived, with the club in the process of overhauling its roster management to ensure it doesn’t squander the $4 million war chest it has to spend on players from 2020.

Uncertain future: Parramatta hasn't given up hope of signing Jarryd Hayne.

Uncertain future: Parramatta hasn't given up hope of signing Jarryd Hayne.CREDIT:AAP

The Eels currently have no room to pay Hayne his market value because most of their cap is invested in big names Mitchell Moses, Corey Norman, Michael Jennings, Bevan French, Brad Takairangi and Clint Gutherson. All of those players are off contract and - with the exception of captain Gutherson - are unlikely to be offered new deals.

The blue and golds have only a dozen players contracted for 2020, giving them the cash and flexibility required to overhaul a squad that finished the 2018 season with the wooden spoon.

Advertisement

However, that is of little solace to Hayne, who has always indicated his desire to stay put but can’t do so until at least one contracted player moves on.

The two-time Dally M medallist has publicly stated he is resigned to not playing for Parramatta again, although Eels CEO Bernie Gurr hasn’t given up hope of squeezing him into the 2019 squad.

"We would revisit that, yes," Gurr told Fairfax Media. "It’s pretty common knowledge we are at the same place we’ve been for a couple of weeks.

"We need to free up some salary cap space to be anywhere near what Jarryd would want. That’s not happening at the moment. Nothing has really changed over the last month."

Advertisement

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hayne haters should shift their hate on one of those guys chewing up the cap and giving us sweet FA. Hayne needs to stay!!!!
    • Let's sign hayne he use to be a good player. I like watching his highlights on YouTube. He will win us a premiership . He is my favourite player . Go away hayne haters if you support parra you have to be a hayne supporter - Jarryd hayne is the eelzzzz 

• FMD - Takairangi on a huge deal. Who wrote that contract? Sack them immediately (if not gone already)

The guy was at best a good FG'er. Why the K1w1s picked him remains a mystery to me.

FMD#2 - French on a huge deal. The person who wrote that deal needs shooting.

Sure he deserved an upgrade based on what he did 2 years ago but - a huge deal? No fukkin way!

• Agreed these type of players are a dime a dozen and should be paid accordingly. BA seemed ruthless when he first arrived leaving Fui out of the squad but then went about playing favorites with chumps.
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

JB. Prints of Parra replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"What I could see happening is Lomax to the Chooks and Suaalii to the Eels "
19 seconds ago
Cumberland Eel replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Can anyone actually see this happening. Lomax at the Eels? "
7 minutes ago
Electric Eel 2 replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Hardly the point that I was making!"
22 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Yes Bup makes a compeling case...."
33 minutes ago
More…