Siebold

Was reading this great piece from Anthony Siebold and of course my thoughts turned to the former Batemans Bay captain/coach. Look at the comparison in their apprenticeships, words and philosophies. We really need to aim for better as a club.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/anthony-seibold-value-of-growth-mindset/?utm_source=m.facebook.com&utm_medium=referral#pflOq2mg7WeZkDex.97

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Tad Living...: I have seen that article some time ago, this year. Whilst one should never believe everything that one reads in a newspaper that was an interesting article-thought provoking as you display.  The history of the selection of BA, as you mentioned, bears comparison with the text of the article. You will remember that Jason Taylor was to be appointed coach of the Eels when the intervention of some senior players changed the board's mind and Brad Arthur was select at the very last moment. Not the way things should be done if you believe the article. I think that it is a moot point, however, that any selection committee has the capacity to always select the right person or to even select the right person some of the time. The prime example of the incapacity to select the right person is currently on display in the political field with the Government parties in all sorts contortions in preselections decisions, such that the Government may abandon any preselection and appoint sitting members to face the electorate! I don`t think there is any scientific or best method of selecting the right people. Perhaps that the best that can be done is to eliminate those who obviously don`t come up to the mark. For example, if you were in selecting the person to play Tarzan in a movie you would hardly select a one-legged actor? I think what can be done is to select who you think is the best and then hope for the best! It probably works less than 50% of the time. So tossing a coin would be better than that because that would give you a 50% success rate.

• About the dumbest comprehension of a blog post i've ever seen. Enjoy the school holidays bro.

As a fan who has watched things unfold under BA's tenure, i'm unsure what plan you can identify. What has he done to make us better? What players are getting better under his coaching? and most importantly what leadership exists within the club?

We have yearly instances of guys playing up off the field, our on field discipline is farcical. 1 instance that sticks out to me is our discipline week 1 against Penrith was horrible. After the game BA said it cost us the game. The whole week he mentioned it in every interview. The next week we played Manly and Taka was offside on the first kick chase. There's been other instances of him saying if you don't want to be disciplined you wont' be in the side. Next game Tim Manah goes to the bin twice and who's captain the following week?

Anyway, beside the point. My biggest takeaway from the article aside from Siebolds continually search for habits and ideas he can implement to improve his team is he is very forward thinking with a direct plan to achieve results. He's not looking for better relationships 6 years into his tenure... It's one of the first things you do in the early stages of team formation. There's no way you can sit there and tell me anything you've seen from BA shows he has a plan for success. We're going into this season with an attitude of 'what i've done 5 of my 6 years here hasn't worked so lets try something else'. It's bush league. 

On signing with the cub as coach BA said 'we won't be getting any more wooden spoons'. Well, we have. What did he do to prevent it? I recognise his strengths , as you say, is he has an ability to develop good relationships with players. He comes across as more of a friend than a coach. What are they learning? Early days they played for him, but now he needs more. 6 years of his voice and methods with limited results and players seeing themselves and the team go backwards, he needs a solution.

'Go support another club if you're only going to completely ignore facts to suit your agenda' you say? 

• brissey i cant disagree with anything that you have said

• Dude what rise have Mahoney, Kaufusi, Niukore and Dylan Brown had?  Just because you've heard of them/ they've played a couple of first grade games doesn't mean shit.

Mahoney only played first grade last season because King and Prichard were injured. Ditto Nuikore with Manu Mau, Brown etc... BA was basically chucking blokes in at the end of year to see what they had. I'd hardly call that a rise. 2019 will show more.

Meanwhile where do we start with the players in our squad who have regressed? Bevan French career has absolutely nose dived. As has Tepai's. Even established rep players like Jennings are now absolute busteds. Who is to blame? At the start of the year Moses and Bevan were emerging Blues tipped to have big years and possibly go close to Origin. By the end they're unwanted basically anywhere.

Our finishing positions under BA.

2014- 10th

2015- 12th

2016- Salary Cap excluded. But what did come out of this season was BA identifying Kieren fking Foran as the current and future leader of the club.

2017- 4th. 

2018- Last

One of these is not like the others... an outlier if you wish. We could go into the number of close games Semi was the difference and the kissed on the knob draw we had..or the fact we couldn't even beat teams like Newcastle at the back end of the year but thats neither here nor there.

Finals matches won. 0.

Current rep players. 0. 

We're going into a season where he's established we didn't have strong enough relationships in 2018, and we need players who take pride in the jersey...yet half the squad remains unsigned going forward with many told they're free to find somewhere else. 

At the very least by now, results aside, we should have a clear leadership at the club. BA went for the easy option and tried to integrate Manly leaders into our club in Watmough and Foran and it backfired spectacularly. As much credit as you want to give him for the 2016 salary cap rubbish, he deserves critcism for the blokes he bought in to establish culture. The Moses signing has been another spectacular failure. He bought an inconsistent player into an inconsistent team and it hasn't worked.

So i ask you.. what do you think the plan is for 2019? What do you see?

• ah the old basic 'go support someone else'.

This, written by you should tell you all you need to know.

"The review identified deficiencies we pretty much all knew already"

Unless you want me to give credit coz we 'got other staff'?

• mate we’re in a salary cap driven comp where we’ve had a 40% winning record over the last 6 years . I’m not sure what you’re watching when you’re crapping on about junior development and having faith etc..

Just because young guys have been played doesn’t mean they have developed . Name one young guy that BA has bought into 1st grade and his career has ascended. The jury is out on Salmon , Mahoney etc .. but in my opinion they , like those before them, are not being put in a position to succeed . 

I love the discussion with you but in my opinion the absolute thing this club has lacked for a long time is leadership . The coach sets the leadership culture . We’ve given a lot of 2nd,3rd, 4th chances to blokes .. often senior players. The balcne is wrong there from the get go. Foran came to the club with extreme emotional baggage and was someone who was close to BA before he came . He immediately made him captain of the club. Other senior players like Norman and Hayne have proven to be self first brain dead imbosiles . We have young guys coming through now on drink driving charges . Last year we signed TRex who dealt with the same rubbish. Kenny Edwards , Kaysa .. the list goes on. At least he bought in Ferguson to mentor them this year (eye roll) .

My point is this is the first thing it’s clear the club lacks. Tim Mannah is a good honest clubman .. leader he ain’t . Gutho has leadership qualities but has played about 2 seasons of 1st grade and is getting through his own problems . He’s learning the job on the fly. It’s absurd to me that this hasn’t been addressed over 6 years and BA keeps giving chances to guys with troubled pasts he views as bargain buys . It can work , but our team has been way out of balance in this regard . 

A lot of the rest of the review , you’re right , was telling us things we already know . Far from wanting to support another club, i feel like BA has gone another season painting over some cracks in the roster but hasn’t addressed the leadership issues at the club . Our on field discipline last year matched our off field . We were lazy , took short cuts and made similar mistakes repeatedly . I’m very pessimistic about out chances next year because i don’t see a clear plan. Playing out of a new stadium and going on team orgys might help , but they’re not the answer to us consistently moving in the right direction i don’t think.  but time will tell. 

• Also Semi played BA for a fool . Repeatedly not showing up when he said he would , making quick darts back to Fiji in season , being married in Fiji the day before we played Newcastle in a crucial clash for our top 4 hopes .. but he let it go because he’d show up and help us win close games . Terrible leadership though. He advised he was leaving early in 2017 and we started 2018 with Kirisome and Josh Hoffman on the wing . Yet we spent a tonne on a front rower that spent half the year at Wenty. Cmon mate you must see some pretty substantial problems here ?

• I agree ! i don’t want a new coach every season. It’s an excuse for a rebuild. 

Thts why i’m saying I want to see a plan. I can’t see what he’s trying to do other than recapture 2017 which was lightening in a bottle. When else is a team with a -37 point diff in 3rd at round 22. Never . 

I feel like you can see what some coaches and clubs are trying to do. Nathan Brown has a plan . Gus has a plan at the Panthers. Whether right or wrong it’s a plan and they’re a shit load closer than us.Siebold had a plan at the Rabbitohs and it was enough to have him extremely sought after a year before his contract ended . I think BA is just looking for answers. I don’t want us to base his and the clubs future on the start of next year , as like you argue it’s a small sample size like 2018. 6 years isn’t tho. and over 6 years ( with some excuses factored in ) i don’t think he’s done or achieved enough . If he’s contract ended this year hes most likely shown the door . 

I think we should be looking at replacements now, and if we find someone with a better vision and plan to take us forward we should move on it . Not wait and be reactionary as it just delays us being competent let alone successful . 

• What the F has seinold achieved? A top 4 finish? Even BA has done that

has he won a premiership?

did he take a team from bottom 4 to top 4??

until he wins the big one, he will be an average coach imo

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
27 minutes ago
MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
6 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
7 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
7 hours ago
More…