https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/17/stat-attack-the-17-most-improved-nrl-players-of-2018/?utm_source=NRLEmail_Top5&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=feature1708

From young players cashing in on opportunities or journeymen hitting new heights to veterans recapturing career-best form, NRL.com Stats has identified a best 17 of players who have improved their form dramatically in 2018.

Of those 17, the list has Ferguson at

5 Blake Ferguson

It hasn't helped him hold onto his NSW Origin jersey but Ferguson's form with ball in hand has been peerless in 2018. He has made easily the most metres of any player (4142, next best Jason Taumalolo 3724), averaging 197m per game and is equal-fifth for tries scored with 14. His previous best average metres was the 145 he racked up last year and his try tally already beats his season best of 13, in 2011 and 2012 at Canberra.

And off the bench Lane

17 Shaun Lane

One of the quieter achievers on this list is also one of the most dramatic improvers in 2018. The towering 23-year-old came through the Cronulla juniors before making his mark in the Bulldogs' NYC system. He burst onto the scene with a monster game against the Storm at Belmore in 2015 in just his third NRL appearance and featured in the Bulldogs' finals campaign that year. A shift to the Warriors in 2016 produced a dire season, in part impacted by injury, in which he struggled to even make the starting 13 in reserve grade. Lane managed nine games for Manly in his return to Australia in 2017 as a stop-gap player when injuries hit. An early-season ACL injury to Curtis Sironen handed him a chance to make his mark and he has improved out of sight, producing easily his most consistent year in a largely struggling Manly outfit. He tops the club's try-scoring list with eight – a career best – to go with career-highs in average metres (90), busts (38) and offloads (24).

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Funny how everyone was bagging this signing a good buy and a good player.

• Not everybody, many of us said it was a promising buy.

• I've always thought Lane had heaps of promise & a great passing game
    • Unfortunately the sack BA campaign were using this signing as ammo.
  • Nothing to get excited about, proberly a good average 1st grader like David Gower
  • Sorry to be a negative nelly but we have a history of signing such players and they go backwards quickly. There is zero evidence to suggest anything different with these players.
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Cowboys wasn't a great performance LB. they have been shown up quiet badly after we managed to bust their defence at will in their Red Zone! i.e. fundamentally the same attack as the Phins game, just a different resolve from the defence.
Can we…"
20 minutes ago
Poppa replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"I think anyone that has common sense and decency are in this boat. That is not to say BA should stay, I agree he has to go.
The one argument that we don't know is who has pulled the strings on the recruitment wagon, it is really a problem and…"
31 minutes ago
Collaroy Eel replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"I know mate I know..... BA is hard headed and doesn't ever seem to learn from his mistakes as we all can see.
Going to the game tonight half I hope me and my boys don't leave embarrassed "
34 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"I would accept that if it was their first time or second time in Darwin. This was their 10th. He knew exactly the conditions."
39 minutes ago
More…