Shaun Lane

Good lord what happened to him, upon re-watching the trial how awful did Lane look. Yes, swapping sides can effect your play, but there were effort issues with his game on saturday night. The Luai try he was pushed towards the middle playing lock, moved from marker and jogged towards the ball when Luai stepped in he went through the massive gap meant to be occupied by Lane. Second earlier on around 22 minute mark Koriosau makes a break, Lane looks to attempt a tackle decides to go back to the line Koriosau escapes and Lane does a twirl type tackle attempt leading the Koriosau running around him.

Matterson got harsh words on the weekend, but he wasnt that bad. Waqa Blake sured up Crichton too, which has been overlooked, yes it's a trial but still decent in a trial non the less on a talent like Crichton. Lane on the other hand got his extension, got his cash now he looks comfortable. Nowhere near the performances he was producing in 2019, hope he pulls through and moving to the middle may help during the year, but so far it was underwhelming.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lane was shocking and still 10x better than he played in the Final vs Souths which is one of the worst individual performances from start to finish ive seen in ages. He went close to costing us that game by himself. 

I'd be starting him in Cup and telling him to compete for his spot. BA will not... one of the reasons why the players will always back him because hes loyal to a fault. 

• Hes turned into a total bum on the park and it seems BA can do nothing to stop the rot.

I went to the dogs game last year, made a point of watching him off the ball to see if it was as bad as id imagined, and he was worse.

He looks lazy, disinterested, depressed, head down all the time, never pushes himself, shocking body language and zero urgency.

Hes gone backwards under BA apart from his start at the club which was good.

He needs to be dropped imo to fire him up and send a message but BA rarely holds anybody accountable and probably thinks theres no issue.

• Issue is, if you ever watched when he got interviewed by Denan Kemp, he talked about being droppped by Manly and how he felt like giving up and didnt like playing anymore.

Seems when he gets dropped it is a different attitude for him, which is not good. Perhaps dropping to the bench might be same.

• At the time of the Lui try over 30 minutes had been played  at a fairly frantic pace added to with ref ignoring the 10 metres defence line rule . At that time Lane like the majority of his team mates were getting greatly fatigued. I think Lanes " relaxed " type of body shape can often be confused with a lazy appearance .    Lane made his share of tackles  . 

Lane may have stayed on the field longer than anyone else in our team as I recall he was still out there near the end.   Some here  disagree I know but I was pleased with the efforts of every Parramatta player out there . They played against the grand finalists from almost Penrith previous game . Penrith were full of confidence as a result and out to stamp their mark right from the very start of the season. The first half game seemed more like a comp game than a trial . It's so glad to see gone are the fairly recent years of our mistakes through poor execution . However yes it was only a first game and trial of the year for most players and therefore the odd error of judgment should be excused .

Parra team showed plenty of potential for sure .

• Lane was one of my favourite players in 2019.

Can't believe how far backwards he has gone.

• Same here BEM. I wince everytime he gets the ball or when the attack targets him - which is becoming more often.

Maybe he was destined to the bench before Cartwright got injured.

• Lane is trash. I see him just keeping Bryce Cartrights spot warm. 

• He's always going to be a laidback character, but he's a strike weapon for us on that left edge. Gotta take the good with the bad.

• Brett, I think Lane WAS a strike weapon. But he has been stalling the attack by incorrect positioning since mid-2020. No idea why. But leaving bad on the field to get good is either weak coaching or weak replacements or both. 
      Sometimew I do the Bellamy test. What would Bellamy do at the Storm? Because BA models the Eels on the Storm's role-based system. Bellamy would drop Lane 

• We'll have to disagree on that Daz

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
1 minute ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
10 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
11 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We definitely need Lomax more than we need Grieg. Plus I back BA to develop gun forwards if we need to. We already have amazing forwards coming through our Matt, SG and Flegg team."
17 minutes ago
More…