ROUND 1 - POST GAME WRAP UP

Great start to the game with a high completion (16/20 - 80%) from us going into the break.  Penrith had many uncharacteristic drop balls (11/17 - 64%), which gave us a false sense of security as it was likely that would change in the second half. 

The second half saw the reversal in completions with us completing (11/17 - 64%) and the Penrith (15/21 - 71%).  Even though we had one more set then Penrith we ran 106 'less' metres in attack.  

Reagan Campbell-Gillard was running off the back fence in the second half and was completely dominating our bench forwards in that first 10-15 minute period and our bench forwards were struggling in a big way.  Campbell-Gillard needs to play State of Origin this year.    

Moeroa was running hard and was making more metres per run then any of our forwards with 120 metres from 10 runs, with Brown, Alvaro and Mannah all running over 100 metres for the game.  Where as Ma'u and our bench all struggled in attack.  An interesting stat was that Brown ran the ball (18 runs) more then all of our bench forwards combined (17 runs.  Scott 2 runs, Matagi 4 runs, Takairangi 4 runs and Evans 7 runs - that's poor).

What was noticeable to me was that our bench forwards looked considerable less fitter then our starting forwards and all 4 bench forwards struggled to keep up with the pace of the game.  Takairangi went missing in attack and his 4 runs mainly came late in the game.  Scott's strength last year was his weakness today and he just could not keep pace with the game in both defence.  His attack looked even worse (he has played 1 season too long in my opinion).  Matagi was man handled in attack, but did have good line speed in defence and tried very hard in defence.  

When you consider we did have more total ball over Penrith we struggled in attack and our line speed in defence in the second half was very, very poor.

POSITIVES:  

- It was 3 tries a piece and we essentially lost due to penalty and conversation goals.  

- Moses and Norman had some nice plays.  

- Brown had his usual big impact.

- Moeroa had a strong game.  

- Hoffman had a good return to the top grade.  

NEGATIVES:  

- We missed Semi's powerful runs out of the red zone (his loss will hurt us).

- Our ball handling and kicking in the second half was poor.   

- Our bench were poor in defence and attack, particularly in attack.

- We should have had two or three trials for the top team as they looked unfit in the second half and  we looked gassed for the second 40 minutes.  In hindsight our only one trial looks like a very bad mistake from BA and the club.  Lets have three trials next year.       

- Not selecting Edwards was a terrible mistake and he needs to be in the team next week.  

TEAM CHANGES NEEDED: 

- Auva'a dropped to Wenty.

- French to replace Auva'a on the wing.

- Hayne to fullback.  This will give us more options in attack and he will link up well with French.  

- Takairangi to left centre to replace Hayne.  

- Jennings from left centre to right centre to help out Moses (Moses looked vulnerable in defence without Jennings.)

- Edwards replaces Takairangi on the bench.  This will give our bench good impact and line speed. 

- Scott dropped and replaced by Peni (if fit), Vave or Niukore.  It is sad to see an elite champion player like Scott play one too many seasons.  Scott's two runs put a lot of pressure on the other forwards and in defence he could not keep up with the pace of the game (very sad to watch).  Maybe against a weaker team Scott may be suitable, but not against a top team 8 team like Penrith.

NEXT WEEKS TEAM LIST:     

1.  Hayne

2.  Hoffman

3.  Takairangi

4.  Jennings

5.  French

6.  Norman

7.  Moses

8.  Mannah

9.  King

10.  Alvaro

11.  Ma'u

12.  Moeroa

13.  Brown

14.  Edwards 

15.  Terepo (if fit) 

16.  Matagi

17.  Evans

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Matagi should be the first person dropped.

Truly woeful.

• Matagi, Scott and Takairangi all struggled.  Last year our bench was our strength but today it was poor.  We need Edwards, Terepo and possibly Williams on the bench with Evans.  

• I would have to say he is the most inconsistent player in our squad, he was damn good in the trial and absolute poo today, he was on and off all season last year. The difference between his best and his worst is too great, he has to go, I think even Vave is a better option.

• No. Matagi, although not strong was streets ahead of Evans. He was simply lazy. For example he could have dived in to stop that try when Hayne was working his ass off trying to hold him up. Evans just jogged over with no urgency. That sums up his defensive game today. 

• Auvau struggled in that heat. Not surprising for a bloke with that much muscle on board. He will play better games but is the man to miss out when Gutherson returns. I’m not sure Manu Ma’u makes the best 17 any more. He lacks impact.
    • Gutherson was missed today.  

• We could see Vave or Terepo next week if they are fit.  

• Apparently Terepo has another hamstring injury

• Not good.  Hopefully Vave is available.  

• great post. Agree 100% wouldnt mind seeing a complete overhaul of the bench. they were very ineffective 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"Then again, tired middle opens up the ruck for Api to do his thing.
We will give him space but will halves help him. Our spine is much better with Gutho and Brown in there."
18 minutes ago
JB. Prints of Parra replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"What I could see happening is Lomax to the Chooks and Suaalii to the Eels "
44 minutes ago
Cumberland Eel replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Can anyone actually see this happening. Lomax at the Eels? "
51 minutes ago
Electric Eel 2 replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Hardly the point that I was making!"
1 hour ago
More…