Rookie Watch 2015

NSW Cup

I won’t do a lengthy description of our NSW cup players as we mostly know how they play and what they’re currently capable of. But there’s a pretty big list of players that can make a possible debut in 2015:

• Ryan Matterson
  • Fabian Goodall
  • John Folau
  • Halauafu Lavaka
  • Leva Li
  • Daniel Alvaro
  • Tui Kamicamica

Holden Cup/ NYC

I've also decided to hold off on our more senior players in the NYC team as we've seen them play either most of this year and last year.

Alex Twal (Prop) – One of the taller props in our team, Alex burst onto the scene after working hard in the SG Ball season to gain promotion. At the beginning of the year there was more talk about Wayne Francis but after Francis moved to the Balmain Tigers there didn’t appear to be any props that would make the big step-up from SG Ball to the NYC in 2014. But along came Alex Twal who in his first few games displayed an enormous motor along with a very handy offload. Twal should be able to step up and become one of our starting props next year.

Tyrell Fuimaono (Second-Row/Centre) – A very classy edge forward that has had some very high expectations ever since Peter Nolan signed him as a 15 year old. After an injury-plagued SG Ball season where he was named co-captain of the team, Tyrell began his NYC career at centre and shocked a few with his light stepping and speed. What Tyrell has shown is that he can get through some hard work when needed but also has the flashy skills that can leave the defence bamboozled.

Bevan French (Fullback/Halves) – Bevan has come down to the Eels with a lot of promise and much like Fuimaono he struggled to get game time in the SG Ball with injuries hampering his chances. When he did play though he was one of the best, he was constantly setting up tries for his outside players, and was mesmerising the defence with his light feet along with his speed. In a spectacular game against the Knights, French scored an amazing 5 tries in the one match.

Jason Vidal (Half) – Jason has long been a part of our junior system which saw him captain our premiership winning 2012 Harold Matthews team. Later on in 2014 he was being selected for the Guildford Owls playing across the Ron Massey and Sydney Shield competitions. Vidal will have some stiff competition to cement a halves spot going up against proven NYC players Zach Dockar-Clay, and Dylan Izzard.

Nifo Sevi (Hooker/Utility) – It appears that Nifo is the ultimate utility as he’s played a range of positions across the past few years. I believe he started in the Bulldogs competition as a centre/winger then as he entered their Harold Matthews team he was put into the halves and now at Parra he spent the entire 2014 season at starting hooker. He appears to have a league frame and is very quick; this speed saw him break through many defensive lines this year.

Tom Amone (Prop) –One of the bigger boys to come through our SG Ball team this year. Tom is built low to the ground and likes to throw his weight around. One of the main starting props in our SG Ball team this season, Tom gained an Australian schoolboys call-up and will more than likely start on the bench for the Junior Eels in 2015. 

Notable omissions:

• Jack Morris (Second-Row)
  • Thomas Field (Second-Row)
  • Craig Field (Second-Row)
  • Tui Oloapu (Centre/Winger)
  • James Gammidge (Centre/Winger)
  • Jermaine Mati-Leifi (Winger)

SG Ball

Troy Dargan (Half) – Troy is one of the most talked about players in our district rep squads. Troy this year proved that he could hold his own amongst the older players by holding down the left half spot in the team despite being a year young. From those who are better judges than I are saying that Troy is one of the best half prospects that has come through our junior system in some time.

Joseph Tramontana (Hooker) - If Dargan is one of the most talked about players in the SG Ball team, Tramontana would be the other highly rated player. Joey has cemented himself as a leader of the club after leading our 2013 Harold Matthews team to a Grand Final win and also a National Championship in that same year. Joey was the starting hooker for St. Pats in Blacktown and was being talked about by Andrew Voss in a recent article.

Reimis Smith (Centre) – The son of former player, now player manager, Tyran Smith. Reimis was brought across by Anthony Field from South Sydney. He lined up against most of the players he’ll be playing with next year in the Harold Matthews Grand Final in 2013 which saw Smith score two tries, one being a 60 metre spectacular.

Notable omissions:

• Michael Doolan (Halves/Fullback)
  • Simon Fonua (Second-Row)
  • Cameron King (Prop)
  • Vinnie Tikeri (Second-Row/Centre)
  • Anthony Layoun (Fullback)

Harold Matthews

Jesse Cronin (Prop) – Brought down from Newcastle, Jesse is touted as one of the better props in the 16 year old age group. He’s said to have a good work ethic along with a good offload he should be a good pick-up for the young Eels.

Joshua Curran (Second-Row) – Gained selection into the Australian U/15’s merit and NSWCCC teams earlier this year after a strong showing as a 15 year old in the Harold Matthews competition.

Tui Afualo (Centre/Second-Row) – Despite only being 15 in the Harold Matthews last year Tui gained a lot of attention. A big centre that is very light on his feet. Tui was selected for the NSWCHS and Australian U/15’s merit team alongside Curran and Kytak Chan.

Notable omissions:

• Alex Seve (Halves)
  • Kytak Chan (Winger)
  • Robert Afu (Outside Back/Fullback)
  • Oregan Kaufusi (Prop)
  • PJ Vaigalu (Middle Forward)

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This will be updated as squad's are cut and NYC profiles are provided on the Eels web page.

If anyone has anything to add please feel free to correct any mistakes I have made or vital information that I've missed.

• dont u mean next year and thank ham that was a good read i dont know much about our Harold Matthews,,,SG Ball,,Holden Cup/ NYC,,NSW Cup. 

because im from the bush

• Yeah, he is certainly a talent when he gets on the field producing some good games in the Ball season and then again for the Owls when he was promoted to RM cup and Sydney Shield.

• Hoping French gets more chances in the Holden Cup this year. 

• I think he will. We have a few positions open that he can play.

• The beauty is that a lot of our back-line will be open in terms of spots up for grabs. I'd like to see him start in the halves personally, as I reckon he's creative enough to take ownership of a game. 

• We'll go well if we can fit Davis and French into the #1 and #6 jerseys with Dockar-Clay in the #7 jersey. There's enough creative element there to compliment the fact that we're dropping a fair bit of experience and age out wide. They'll have a fair bit of time too as our forwards will be stronger next year and will gain more metres (hopefully).

• Honestly - and I've said this before - I would rather Davis play at centre, but I'm not the coach. 
        Just think Davis looks like he doesn't want to be at fullback sometimes.

But you're right - a lot of creative players and all building nicely. 

Looking forward to Twal taking on a bigger role in the team as well. 

• His 2 final games in the regular competition I thought he truly shone at the back. I'm happy for Davis to play either centre or fullback. He can play both positions really well. imo him playing fullback helps the club in the long term more as fullback is a much more vital position than centre; now that we've got Reimis Smith from Souths he could turn out to be a really good centre, as can Tui Oloapu and Mark Griffiths. Davis at fullback is hitting both sides of the field equally and running at both sides rather than just one channel and rarely playing the other side.

As it stands we don't know what side he's going to play in first grade, best way to combat that is to play him in a position he can play both sides of the field.

• I'm all for Davis playing FB, as long as he doesn't have those hesitant moments that seem like he's disinterested. 

If it's where our new coach believes he fits best, then good on him and I hope he excels.

Heard good things about Reimis Smith from Souths fans - the kid can be a future star in the Dylan Walker mold - and as for Tui, also heard some good things about him. 

It'll be interesting to see which players do feature in the new coach's plans. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

mongolian trotting duck replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"he cant be worse of than an existing contract as per the collective bargaining agreement
 "
4 minutes ago
LB replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"Exactly, he has worked that well the last 3 weeks. If Carty is out i can see BA naming either Greig or Ogden on the bench to continue the rotation."
7 minutes ago
mongolian trotting duck replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"if they sign lomax why would talagi stay"
7 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"Yeah I just can't seem to get into the words of a dude that was considered smart in very different times. It's like taking advice penned by Henry Ford and applying it to fixing a Tesla. Or Relationship instructions penned by Elvis. "
25 minutes ago
More…