Presidents Cup 2018

The so called leader of our game has decided to eliminate NYC on cost grounds and make it a President Cup state based competition over 20 weeks.

The major thing that NYC did was create a pathway for the younger players, visible on TV. Foxtel wanted it to continue, as did some clubs, but Greenturd made the decision to replace it. As I understand it, there will be no preliminary game before the NRL ) another break in tradition), and to compound the nonsense decision, the NZ Rugby Union will implement an U20 competition next year. When you realise that Konrad Hurrell, RTS, Kata and others moved from the school union comp in NZ on the back of NYC providing a pathway, then you can appreciate what a bone headed decision it was

Who knows , it could be correct, but the argument that clubs lost $30 million last year was a token argument, we were responsible for $12 million of that which will not be repeated. Perhaps a question needs to be asked for Greenturd, where has all the money gone, we see little flowing down the line to age competitions and Foxtel wanted NYC to continue for content on Foxleague

No explanation for any decisions out of NRL HQ, from my perspective Greenturd is the most useless , political operator, that has been in charge of the competition.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• They are truly an unaccountable rabble. Honestly they answer to no one.
    The NRL is meant to administer the game but instead they act like they own the game. They spend money without oversight or justification and make decisions without consultation or feedback.
    The first thing they did when the game got its first large TV deal was build a large office building at Moore Park and fill it with executives at enormous cost to the game. Howeve there’s been no tangible benefit to the elite nrl competition or any other level of rugby league competition despite this huge increase in Human Resources and income at the Administration level.
    The sooner the 16 Clubs wake up to the fact that THEY are the NRL and not the office in Moore Park the better off we’ll be. The NRL administration must be held to account for every red cent they spend. The 16 NrL clubs should have complete oversight of their finances.
  • Worked under David Smith for quite a few years, while he was not averse to spending and hiring, at least he had a vision and set out goals for the game

What have we heard from the current mob, the need to borrow money despite the TV deal and plenty of travel etc for Grant and others.

Where is the mission statement, where is the game headed, what are we doing at grassroots

Just go to the movies and see the Gayfl ads spreading the gospel, what the hell does the media dept do at NRL, never see anything encouraging kids to play , making the game look fun. Gallop was mildly useful, not sure what word to describe Greenturd, apart from useless pelican
  • Having spoken to quite a few junior rep coaches, I don't necessarily think its a bad thing,

Having 18/19 years olds appearing on TV and flying around the country with the NRL squad doesn't necessarily make for grounded young men.

I think a lot of young players think they've "made it" once they get all these trappings, and don't realise that out of their entire squad if more than a couple of players end up as NRL players they're going to be very fortunate.

Personally, I'd rather see the NSW Cup and Queensland Cup properly promoted as the additional viewing option. 

And I think there is a pretty compelling argument to be said that by the better kids joining up with the men at an earlier age, it is a better pathway anyway.

• I actually think a mid-week Under 20 knock-out tournament (you'd include a repechage round to give teams at least two games) would be a really compelling competition to watch. That way fans get the opportunity to get a glimpse of the best young kids you have, without it being in a week-in, week-out thing and all the pressure and bullshit that comes with that.

• Well, PHIL and Brett, I will agree to disagree a little. Think you will find that the Eels coaching staff have worked on the structure to implement NYC programme properly

A point to further consider is taking away part of the game day element, where although not the same as it was in 80s and 90s with 3 grades on match day, having an early game assists in crowds turning up and also those interested we're seeing players coming through the system . Being played at Ringrose on Saturdays etc doesn't attract fans who set aside a day for the footy

Again, whilst not perfect, NYC was valuable to attract athletes to our game, if you think differently fine, but I have been involved in older age group football and understand how attractive being on a bigger stage was to keep those players in the game.

Just think it's a dud decision from a dud person in control of the game
    • I agree with you Deadset. I know a couple of 18 yo who have represented NSW in the junior Origin sides who have been offered only 10 grand for next year, one of them has been promised a development spot the year after going up to 50 grand. The problem with that is both these kids live and breathe football and they work damn hard at it with supportive families.

These kids are going to be required to train like professionals without the monetary advantages. Some kids don't have the same support and the game will lose some talented kids as a result. We all have different life pressures and responsibilities and we're killing off a pathway which helps these young men remained committed fully to the game.
  • I believe that the NRL will leave it up to clubs re curtain raisers. I reckon we should see two grades (either under 20 or ISP) most rounds.
    • Welcome back 60's.

• Great to have you back sixty . You know your footy mate
  • Good to have a team to watch on Grand Final day EE.
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
1 hour ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
1 hour ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
1 hour ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We definitely need Lomax more than we need Grieg. Plus I back BA to develop gun forwards if we need to. We already have amazing forwards coming through our Matt, SG and Flegg team."
1 hour ago
More…