Premiership - 2018

For the first time in a decade, the Eels will start an NRL season with a well balanced roster that should seriously push for the premiership. Even those that passionately dislike Parramatta would struggle to place them outside the top 4. So what do we need to actually win? I'm not talking about making it to a semi-final and I'm not taking about making it to the GF and coming 2nd; I'm talking about lifting the Telstra Premiership once the final siren sounds.

Like any team, there are a number of areas we can improve. However, in my opinion, we can succeed with the cattle we have in most areas. Sure, we could do with a genuinely intimidating prop, an inspiring captain, a meter eater winger, a better kicking option from dummy half...etc, but I don't think any of that is absolutely essential. 

In my opinion, the one thing that really needs to improve is maturity of our halves. They are both extremely talented (equally so in my view) but would you genuinely back them against the nouce of Cooper Cronk and Keary or JT and Morgan in a GF? I believe they both need to lift their consistency and game management this year; learn to be gritty and crafty in the big moments when the team needs it. Perhaps the only way they are gojng to learn this is if one or both gets selected in origin. Otherwise, BA will really have his work cut out for him getting them in the right frame of mind outplay the superstars of the NRL in the biggest moments. 

Thoughts?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thoughts - no premiership until we get a prop
  • We need luck. Minimal injuries. The 50/50 calls to go our way.

• And momentum heading towards and especially during the finals without ANY injuries (esp to spine players) during this part of the season.
  • Honestly I think our backs look good..
    But we are missing a really good prop
    N Brown is our best forward we have
    Outside from him we don't have much really..
    Everyone needs to lift to another level next year.
  • I think we still need to improve our discipline at crucial times in games. All year we found ways to let teams back into games by giving away stupid penalties when completely unnecessary and made poor decision with miracle offloads again when completely unnecessary. I’m not saying we have to play boring predictable footy we just need to get the timing right and if we do we could be in for a great season as we have some serious strike power across the park.

• Another prop would be nice but defensively our forwards are very good and Evans will help this.

The Lurrker has us coming 10th as a result of recruiting Hayne and on the back of our straight sets loss to drop out of the finals last season
  • Our pack isn't good enough to compete with the top sides it's as simple as that.

• We can definitely compete with the top sides, our pack actually dominated a few of the more fancied packs this year including being the better pack against the storm in the finals.

Agree we need a quality front rower with size though.

• At times and in some games yes
      The pack iant good enough to consistently do it every game needs more size and consistency
    • Thought we competed well against the Premiers in Melbourne.

Beat up the Broncos pack well home and away also.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"If Tago does stay at centre then it does coincide with them having a budget 6 but I still think the plan will be to move him"
3 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"500k for May is well worth it. Penrith know what they'll get from him every week but Lomax is inconsistent, right now he's playing his best football because he's advertising himself to other clubs. When his attitude is down his game can be  poor.…"
19 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
1 hour ago
MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
7 hours ago
More…