PARRAMATTA backrower Manu Ma’u has emerged as one of the hottest prospects on the NRL player market.

Off contract at the end of season 2019, the powerhouse forward has attracted interest from at least six NRL clubs and at least three English Super League sides.

At this stage, it is unlikely he’ll remain at the Eels in 2020 with the club signalling they had no intention on moving forward with the Tongan international.

However, the Saturday Telegraph understands that Ma'u was initially told a release from the final year of his contract would be granted if he found another club for the 2019 season.

But interest in the second-rower has been so great, it’s believed the Eels have now changed their mind and want him to fulfil the final year of his deal.

Ma’u has been one of Parramatta’s most consistent players in recent years. AAP Image/Dave Hunt.

His manager Tyran Smith says if the right offer was tabled by another club then he would do what it takes to ensure his client was looked after.

“If a club shows some interest in securing or requests to secure Manu’s services for 2019 and beyond, then I have to do what’s for my client,” Smith said.

“If he’s interested in leaving or if it’s a wish of his and he wants to pursue it then I will request a release and I will do what’s required.”

Up to half a dozen NRL sides, including Newcastle, North Queensland, Canterbury and South Sydney, are all vying for his signature.

In England, Ma'u is on the radar of the Leeds Rhinos, Huddersfield Giants and Warrington Wolves. But it’s understood his preference is to stay in Australia to raise his young family.

The Rabbitohs were particularly keen on Ma'u for 2019 given they are yet to recruit a replacement for NSW Blues backrower Angus Crichton, who is bondi-bound on a lucrative three-year deal.

Eels centre Michael Jennings still has two years left on his contract but has been linked to the Knights.

The Saturday Telegraph also understands Parramatta forward Kane Evans, who is contracted until the end of season 2020, is being shopped around by the club.

Clubs are lining up to sign Ma’u. AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts.

Superstar back Jarryd Hayne is still a free agent but could well end up re-signing with Parramatta if they are able to free up the salary cap space for next year.

Parramatta CEO Bernie Gurr didn’t return calls from The Saturday Telegraph on Friday.

Source: https://outline.com/kbq7GC

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• How the hell does the Cub expect players to perform next season when it appears at least half the team have reportedly been told they are unwanted.  How inspiring for the players!

• Don't worry EE they have gone on a bus ride and have built relationships built on hugging.

• This reply was deleted.
      • You clearly have little experience in managing people.  

• Quite the opposite. Players off contract tend to play their best footy. Half the team are off contract next year so I think 2019 May be a good year for Parra.
      • So you don't see that as a problem?  Get a four year contract and bludge until it is time for a new contract.  Nailed it, there is the very problem, now that money is the key ingredient.

• Half of the people on this site were calling for him to go anyways 

• This reply was deleted.
    • Hahaha 

• ...and again Wanywank?

lol some things just never get old huh?

Should put a blog up dedicated to that farcical report.

Oh Wait, you did. Mwahahaaa.

Oh Markles..

• Wtf Jennings still has 2 years????  And why have we back flipped after initially giving Ma’u the option of leaving??? Seems the club has no fcking idea what it’s doing. 

• It's time to move on from Mau who's done well at Parramatta after initial troubles throughout his life. He's another who is passed his peak, and the good clubs move these guys on early.
    For mine Mau makes too many errors
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Yep winger or fullback"
6 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"For sure, as mentioned, 800k & there's no way the Eels will look at him. 600-650k, is possibly a different story. As you mentioned with salary cap, those centres might've been 600k but that was decent coin also.
100% agree though that it all depends…"
18 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I didn't say classy, I said expensive 
2020 I don't believe Chambers was at the Storm, Olam was on his first cheap contract out of the Qcup and Brenko Lee was also cheap 
Latrell and Manu weren't on huge money, not back then. They were still on…"
28 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I think we need to find a winger not a centre. I just don't see how signing Lomax helps with our long term planning of the club. If Talagi does well at 5/8 we will want him to play centre when Moses is back or at a minimum play him at 14. However by…"
31 minutes ago
More…