The NRL and the players' union are close to agreeing on a salary cap of $9.2 million for next year, a figure that will prompt a mass shedding of players from clubs that have overshot the limit.The governing body and the Rugby League Players Association made some headway during meetings last week that marked the first time NRL CEO Todd Greenberg has come to the negotiating table. The parties are still at loggerheads over the RLPA's demand for a 29 per cent share of revenue, the biggest stumbling block in collective bargaining agreement negotiations.AdvertisementHowever, progress has been made on other fronts. Another contentious issue is the salary cap, with the clubs demanding clarity in order to finalise their 2018 rosters. It's understood the figure for next season will be about $9.2 million for a 30-man squad, although there remains contention about whether several inclusions should sit outside that figure. The 16 clubs will be expected to contribute $400,000 each towards the running the integrity unit, a cost the NRL wants included in the figure. There is also toing and froing over whether the $100,000 motor vehicle allowance should sit within or outside the cap, as well as whether the current veterans player allowance should be replaced with the union's proposal of a 10 per cent reduction for developing players or retaining loyal servants.In a bid to help get a deal done, the NRL has budged on its opening $8.84 million offer and with only haggling over inclusions remaining, the parties are effectively less than $500,000 apart.SHARESHARE ON FACEBOOKSHARE ON TWITTERLINKPlayers sported RLPA caps throughout the Origin series.Players sported RLPA caps throughout the Origin series. Photo: AAPWhile a figure of $9.2 million is higher than the NRL's original starting point, it is well south of the $10 million estimate some clubs have been working to. At least six clubs have overshot the mark in assembling their rosters for next year and beyond, a development that will require them to shed players once a salary cap figure has been officially ratified. Canterbury is one of the clubs under most pressure to move players, a process they have started by releasing prop Sam Kasiano to Melbourne. However, several other big names must be squeezed out to offset the addition of Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods for next year. The departure of Josh Reynolds to Wests Tigers won't be enough and it's likely two more contracted players will have to agree to depart the "family club".Rugby League Central has been working with all affected clubs, who have had to provide head office with a plan to get under the indicative salary cap figure.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Interesting Bazz; where is this article from? I cannot believe the NRL want $400k from each club for the Int unit? surely this cannot be each season...that is over $6 mill. I would like to know how much the Bunker costs each year.

On another note think someone needs to look into the new appointments to the commission...an ex state leader from QLD and a female who quote the NRL ( Professor Davis is one of the nation’s leading constitutional lawyers who has had a long and distinguished international diplomatic career as well as being a champion of Indigenous and women’s rights ). This is another sign the game has gone too far into the political world, and is a joke.

• Have to agree with a itchy here. Donnelly went after targeted business skills. That is not the case here. These are selections by an outgoing board member in Chairman Grant. Is it a matter of getting the Qld board member numbers up, not sure of the board makeup.

Donnelly identified business skills required to make the board effective, I don't see that happening here. I see this as identity politics to enhance political correctness already rampant in the NRL.

Finally I disagree that the board is there only for governance issues. They are responsible for setting the games direction
    • I agree with "Mitchy"
  • Wtf over $6m to run the integrity unit, and they have never found anything wrong with any club's cap. Only thru whistle blowers do they get anywhere. Best to offer an substantial reward, say $500k, and they might get somewhere.

• How is the Integrity Unit salary? So the cap is really $8.8M with an additional 400k fee. This should have been sorted at least a year ago. Shame on the NRL for letting this lie.
    • This is where longfin the game has become more about spin and politics than it should have; Grant seems to abt making the new appt making way for Beattie (ex-premier) to take over; and Int Unit surely should be costed and funded from the NRL funds they take and not clubs. What the hell do these people know about the game; and yes they would have contacts to business but knowing the game is important IMO. This is all becoming like the cricket etc where the'admin' costs are becoming exorbitant. I would like to know each time we pay tickets / memberships how much goes to the NRL licence etc. if it does. For example how much % of Origin / Finals tkts costs goes to NRL etc.

• Thanks Brett but i cannot agree; it seems to me more about 'political type ' appt and i fail to see how a person with constitutional law, an international diplomat (former gravy train), champion of ATSI and women's rights' - yes more minority push; Beattie who has served Govt can be the best; it seems more about the 'political correct' type again mate and people who are business minded yes, but lets have people with some football / sport exp in business.

I also recall the push for John Howard before the original board was named..and i am certain it was mentioned not to have former pollies on there (right or wrong). I would have been scouting for some people from over the country / international who have worked on such boards in sport, even the AFL if needed. 

And why do we need more on the commission? to block the clubs?

• Brett you have confirmed my point about it being politicized thanks mate; and i am not being rude but we all know its about being politically correct hence the women and political (Beattie) side of things; The commissioners have a good say in the direction too Brett and i said previously about having people with business minds who have knowledge of sport rather than diplomats. You only have to listen to young Toddy speak to here the politically sensitive language he uses. 

• Thanks John, have been known to get the 7 yr itch mate....FYI the list below shows the Commissioners role..

The Objects of the ARL Commission are listed in its constitution:

The primary objects of the Company are to:

be the single controlling body and administrator of the Game;
    foster, develop, extend and provide adequate funding for the Game from the junior to elite levels and generally to act in the best interests of the Game;
    liaise with and delegate appropriate functions to governing bodies of the Game in the States and Territories of Australia, including the NSWRL and QRL;
    organise and conduct all State of Origin and Australian Representative Games;
    organise, conduct and foster the NRL Competition;
    liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world;
    promote and encourage either directly or indirectly the physical, cultural and intellectual welfare of young people in the community and, in particular, the Rugby League community;
    promote and encourage either directly or indirectly sport and recreation, particularly Rugby League football, in the interests of the social welfare of young persons. The NSW, Queensland and Country Rugby Leagues remain separate entities under the Commission.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Marty replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"LB you probs correct on two Coaches getting maturity from Lomax, it was all in his mannerism last night. I do wonder the noise from Parra if Gutho went to Wing... for the betterment of the Team? Would he bleet 🐏 so much? "
4 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"If Tago does stay at centre then it does coincide with them having a budget 6 but I still think the plan will be to move him"
37 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"500k for May is well worth it. Penrith know what they'll get from him every week but Lomax is inconsistent, right now he's playing his best football because he's advertising himself to other clubs. When his attitude is down his game can be  poor.…"
52 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
2 hours ago
More…