Matagi To Huddersfield in 2019

Matthew Shaw writes: Huddersfield Giants have made their first signing for 2019 with the capture of New Zealand international Suaia Matagi . The Parramatta prop has become new head coach Simon Woolford’s first signing since joining the Giants, with his arrival providing Huddersfield’s pack with further NRL experience.

Matagi, 30, has made over 100 appearances during six seasons in the NRL, where he has enjoyed stints with New Zealand Warriors, Sydney Roosters, Penrith Panthers and the Eels.

He made one appearance for the Kiwis in 2014 but has played the rest of his international days with Samoa, making seven appearances overall with two of those being in last year’s World Cup.

“I was looking for some real grunt and aggression in the front row and Suaia will bring that and a whole heap more,” Woolford said.

“The fans will love his action packed style and he is a man that won’t take a backward step and he relishes the tough stuff up front.

"We have a number of relatively younger front rowers in Dickinson, Smith and English who will benefit enormously from having a man like Suaia around them at training and on the pitch and his presence will bring confidence and leadership to the forward group.

“When we’re looking to recruit I have said previously I only want guys who really want to come and achieve something here and understand the environment I want to create and Suaia ticks those boxes and I’m very excited to make him my first overseas capture.”

Matagi added: “I am extremely excited to take my football to the next level under the leadership of coach Simon Woolford and I’m also looking forward to the challenge of playing in the English Super League.

"Joining a proud club like the Huddersfield Giants is a privileged and I will represent our fans to the best of my ability.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think Chief got a blog about this all ready

• Throw this blog in the bin, it’s already posted 21 hours ago, gee wizz.
  • Blog police at it again
    shit happens ,move on
  • Omg they call him a international..
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Zip zip replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"Need Sanders in no.7 because clearly DB doesn't cut it and need him to run.  Parra has the worst hooker in the comp. This is an area they need to address ASAP if they are to save their season. Neither Hands or Lussick are good enough. I think Gutho…"
30 seconds ago
Simon Priestly replied to EelsAgeMe's discussion Most embarrassing game in our history?
"Considering the roster we were able to field compared to our opposition's, I agree this is the most embarrassing loss in club history. The only one for me that comes close, is several years ago at Parra Stadium against the dragons who were…"
1 minute ago
Poppa replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"Yes, he reeked of over confidence, I don't think he was guilty of not trying but he ws certainly guilty of a number of other crimes!..... hope that memories of his past have not been totally wiped out.....that was where you failed originally Bryce.…"
2 minutes ago
Hugo replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"Whilst stating the bloody obvious, it all started to go downhill when Moses got injured. 
BUT the moment it went completely haywire was when BA moved Brown from 5/8 to halfback. 
Brown is a great 5/8 BUT HE ISNT A HALFBACK !!!
To no one's great…"
3 minutes ago
More…