Looking to the Future

The Past

As you know I've been stating here for many years we need bigger forwards, and copping plenty of grief over it, from many on this site. Now most on here are beginning to state the same. BA has been as disillusional as many of the supporters on here. Our coming 4th last year just papered over the cracks that had been evident for many years.  

For this year BA had rose coloured glasses on and over estimated our forwards and under-estimated the loss of Semi. There was a plethora of good props available and we bought 2 poor ones. He went cheap and bought Evans and Williams, now if they come good I'll be pleased, but I was unimpressed as was a few others with their recruitment. Now finally the penny has dropped for BA and apparently there is a mad scramble to sign a lightweight prop from SL. More of the bad from me, we need size and quality. We need power middle forwards but currently are heavily stacked with back rowers where most of our go forward comes from (along with Semi).

The Future

What I can tell you is that some of our players must be overpaid as we don't have much left in the cap. To be honest there are not too many quality players in our squad. At the end of this year we need a good cleanout and an honest assessment of the worth of the players we retain. If they don't accept our offers they can go elsewhere. We also need to stop signing ageing players to over-inflated long term contracts past their use by date.

We need to start promoting from within and give those we've spent plenty on hope for their future. BA needs to open the cheque book and buy quality not quantity from outside to fill the holes. He also needs to be proactive and not reactive in his assessment of the team he picks and drop non performing players rather than persisting for too long.

Finally BA needs to look after his future. If he fails this year, and I've already stated before the season started that we'll over-achieve if we make the 8 this year, I'm sure the board will put him on notice. So next year he'll have to succeed otherwise I see him out the door.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Like i said before, if you only rely on recruiting you most often buy bums - other teams rejects , that's unless you pay big overs therefore you're in the shit anyway. 

BA is the bum of player development as has always been the case. Not one developed debutant since French in round one 2016 - what a disgraceful effort. 

Look at how many Bellamy has provided since 2016, i would say about 6 or 7 top line players, and coming from a state which has no jnrs in Melbourne.

• Absolute garbage Chief.

• Willis mehan lol
    • Semi Radradra Mitchell Moses of late.

Manu Ma'u took him from the NZ residents team to the Kiwis and Tonga.

You could probably throw in Nathan Brown Clint Gutherson.

Theres a few hes developed.

• The reason we Plow mllions into junior devolpment is the chance to bring cheap young talent into the side.

Look at Melbourne the last 2 or 3 years Munster, Scott, Vunavaloooooooo, Kaufusi, Croft the list goes on.

yeah they have lost players but they have a ready made production line of talent ready to replace them.

instead we lose any talented juniors we have and would prefer to play moneyball and pay overs for washed up bums.

no wonder young blokes stagnate and don’t kick on here they know they are no chance to get a decent crack.

• Yes fair point Glenn; we will have to see how the year pans out.

Chief, also Melbourne have two feeder teams from my understanding (tigers and Sunshine Coast) where they stockpile their players. Therefore they get most of their stock from QLD which is common. 

• Lol. We can also pick and choose any junior player from the entire qld cup. If we had the right scouts anything is possible
    • Where do you think french cane from ? Uranus?
  • What a great post, finally common sense, u r spot on glen, BA has been too loyal, he now has to live by his own sword!!!
  • Sorry was that to me Chief? re French. He as north coast wasn't he?

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael Ericson replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"A fit and firing Sivo is more valuable than people seem to give credit on here. I haven't given up on him getting back. His last game in 2023  against the panthers was very good - he scored 4 tries but his backfield runs were also effective. He…"
9 minutes ago
aveel replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Tex Hoy
"He's garbage."
27 minutes ago
EA replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"Also needs to work on his play the balls. It feels like they are the slowest in the comp.
Than in defence, he needs to sprint when jamming. Maybe he is scared since his suspension, but he is so slow when jamming that the player gets the pass away…"
34 minutes ago
Muttman replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"I hope he comes back like the Maika we saw in 2022. But I've seen nothing in over a year to suggest he can.His running technique has changed and he needs to fix that. On kick returns he needs to work on lowering his centre of gravity prior to…"
47 minutes ago
More…