How we move forward

So I walked out of a day-long personal commitment to a bunch of texts, messages and emails. And I'm only just catching up on what has transpired during the day, however I do want to say a couple of things. Firstly, and this goes back to what I said when Scott Seward resigned in the first place. Save your energies and hold onto your pitchforks until the situation more fully unfolds, regardless at who you want to point them at. Clearly, there has been a bunch of things unfolding behind the scenes and I'm sure more will come out. It's gotten to the point where we just can't pretend our CEO decided to move on from a dream job for some untold personal reasons. Again, I'll note that none of this is entirely unusual. There are always contract issues in footy clubs (or indeed any business) and normally it's dealt with quietly and behind the scenes. But we're Parramatta so of course it has to play out in public.

The fact that it hasn't played our private is cause for concern and not just for the fact that it seems like a relentless tirade of bad new.s No doubt, this is a player manager maneuver to put pressure on the Eels in terms of getting the contract finalised as close to its original form as possible. However, I'm surprised a discussion about a "political instability" clause has caused this to play out in this fashion and so I'm sceptical we've got the full story. However, that's even more reason as to why we as supporters and members need to keep our powder dry until we know more.

However, in the mean-time, here's some unsolicited advice to our current administration. The member-based is sick to death of passing the buck. At some point we need some accountability. At some point there needs to be transparency. At some point, platitudes like club-first, stay united, good governance etc need to be backed-up with action befitting such calls for loyalty. No more excuses. In the end, when you're in control, and something happens on your watch, you are accountable regardless of the situation. So if there is a mess, get it cleaned up, learn from mistakes that have been made and communicate to us what's been done, so the membership can at least have confidence that this is not going to be a never-ending storm we have to weather forever onwards. 

I watched last Friday's night's game, thinking "My god, we're actually going to have one of the best halves pairing in the comp". I was probably more excited about our future than I've been at any point in recent memory. That's why this news is causing such consternation with Parramatta supporters. Just when things look up, it's like the world wants to take it away from us again.

Of course, right now, all we can really comment on is that contract re-negotiations are taking place. Personally, I think what brought Kieran to this club - and that's the chance to be the leader of one of the biggest and most important clubs in the NRL, and to link up with a coach he respects in Brad Arthur and to start a new footballing chapter with his mate Choc - none of that has changed. However, even if this all blows away as yesterday's fish and chips wrapping, our membership needs to be treated with due respect and the events of the past month not just be pushed aside as though they never happened.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Will hold off, pitchfork , rope, burning bush torch put out....will keep the faith...Next Year Boys plenty of time to riot....
  • The roosters have alot more money to compete now. They need a 6. This is a joke. I was so excited seeing him play on Friday, and thinking what hr can do for our club over the next 4 years. If he walks, I will be immensely disappointed.
    • They wouldn't have 1.2million.
    • If he signs with the Roosters that's it for me and Rugby League. How they could even be mentioned as a potential is ridiculous. Compare their roster to every other one.
  • Sorry Mules already let us know in the cupboard that there have been mass riots infront of the leagues clubs. Effigies have been burnt. Apparently Sharps charred corpse remains. It's all over man. It's all over!

• Man, out of action for a day and the bloody place burns down...

• Hamish,what a disaster the day has been.I have footage of what has unfolded at the scene of this charred aftermath,I am literally walking on warm ambers where the new escalators we're, the only thing that still remains intak are the toilets in tingha palace. I can still confirm Peter Wynn is still in the carpark selling the last of his parra jerseys for $1 and in the back ground behind me, Dennis Fitzgerald is still doing cart wheels in a leotard.
      It's still very noisy here Hamish with all network choppers buzzing overhead, I spotted the nien chopper quite easily with the firey red headed Danny weidler getting the first scoop.
      Steve sharpe is toast, he was frog marched out past the foyer doors and was dealt with by the crowd with pitch folks, he was placed on a post and set alight in disgust by the savage fans. Where from here, only David smith knows.

Stay tuned more to come.
  • Signing Foran was too good to be true. I guess we're stuck with averages halves.
  • Great blog phill, champ stop covering for Steve sharps f ups. U for one was supporting change and wanted Steve and his board in. Like me and a number of fans sharpie isn't the answer and we got it wrong. Fitzgerald and his camp are not the answer. Spagnolo and his camp are not the answer. Good riddance to bad rubbish there. Parra needs a new and Independent board who have the skills and perservance to take this great club forward. Phill this is the site u created, it's about time for the sake of all the fans who love this club to be pushing this on ur site u created. We need a complete change. If not nrl step in NOW
    • I don't think he is covering at all.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

BEM replied to Axel's discussion Brad and Bennett
"Enough is enough. 
We need a new voice even if it is in its 70's."
38 seconds ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Axel's discussion Brad and Bennett
"X a billion trillion 
great read 
spot on "
20 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"I would take odds on that Printzy, there is much chance of that happening as......Chiefy passing an entrance exam to be a zoo cage cleaner."
55 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"The water has to pass under the bridge before you can answer that LB, just pissing into the wind until then."
1 hour ago
More…