Hayne to Fb

nrl/nrl-parramatta-eels-announce-hayne-move-matt-gillett-whacks-broncos-rumour/news-story/7e520190a8da1e6f3e9090614193addc

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PARRAMATTA appears set to abandon their dual-fullback experiment and permanently move Jarryd Hayne to fullback for Saturday’s NRL clash against Cronulla. Rising star Bevan French has worn the No.1 jumper but switched with Hayne on good-ball sets during the opening two games of the competition. But after back-to-back defeats - including last week’s 54-0 humiliation at the hands of Manly - Eels coach Brad Arthur looks set to respond by shifting Hayne to his favoured spot.

“He’s moved back there at training. We had our big session yesterday and he moved back there,” five-eighth Corey Norman said on Sky Sports Radio on Thursday.

French was monstered numerous times against the Sea Eagles last weekend, and Norman believes Hayne’s bigger frame will be better suited to when rivals have momentum.

Hayne is nearly 10 centimetres taller and 20 kilograms heavier than French.

“I think just a bigger body coming out of the backfield there with Haynesy, and getting him a bit more involved and his experience there ... so we’ll see how he goes,” Norman said.

“If they get a good set and put it in the corners then you need them bigger bodies to start your sets off well, or you’re kicking from inside your 40 (metre-line) there every time.

“With Haynesey back there hopefully he can get a good carry and hopefully we get a good start to our set.” The match also marks the first time Hayne will play in front of the Eels’ home fans since his dramatic defection to the NFL in 2014.

Despite returning to the NRL on the Gold Coast two years ago, the 30-year-old missed both the Titans’ clashes against the Eels last year due to injury. And while there has been plenty of scrutiny on Hayne’s fitness during his comeback, Norman said he is confident Hayne could handle the rigours of the fullback role.

“Haynesy has had a couple of games now so I’d expect him to play the full 80 minutes there and do a job for us,” Norman said.

“He knows what he’s got to do so hopefully that comes to the game on Saturday.”
  • I wonder why they have announced this? Did Norman let it slip during an interview? Or is it to quieten the savage social media brigade?

• Sshhhhh it a tactical move and secret ffs.
  • Can't go any worse lol.

• And there goes BA's surprise tactical switch he was going to save until game time. Thanks for giving the Sharks a heads up, Corey.
    • you really think he would have been allowed to release that info without BA giving the ok?

We all know Normz is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but even he couldn't be that dumb? or could he ?

• I don't think it has surprised anyone, including the Sharks.

• Makes sense

- Hayne fullback
    - Jennings moved to right to partner french on that side.
    - Auva'a move to left centre where he played for Souths in their gf (from memory).
    - Hoffman left wing.

Kinda leaves us a short a large winger, which is required in the modern game. Not sure we can overcome this issue though.
  • Maybe it's a double bluff!

• This is a good opportunity for Hayne to win back some of his lost credibility, if he can stand up and have a big game at the back for the eels it will do wonders for his confidence and could win back some confidence from his team mates.

I don't think anyone could expect him to tear the sharks to pieces but if he could put in some strong runs from the back and defensively stand up, maybe score a try or set a couple up it could set him on his way back to being a player that opposition teams worried about. He can't do it on his own though and will need the whole team to have a real dig.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
2 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
3 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
3 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
3 hours ago
More…