Eels after 115kg, 196cm Super-league forward

WHEN Alex Walmsley decides to make the jump to the NRL he’ll become the most in-demand player in the game.

Make no mistake about it.

With a year on his contract with St Helens still to run, the England forward already has four NRL sides eager to land his signature.

Watch every game in 2018 LIVE AD FREE on Fox Sports! You can also stream the 2018 NRL premiership — SIGN UP HERE

It’s understood Newcastle, Wests Tigers, St George Illawarra and Parramatta have all discussed Walmsley internally.

“I’m at a stage of my career where the next decision I make is where I want to go with my career,” Walmsley toldfoxsports.com.au.

“As a player, I want to play with the best and do the best I can. Whether that’s in Super League or elsewhere, that’s yet to be decided.

Alex Walmsley of England.Alex Walmsley of England.Source: Getty Images

“I want to play international football and I want to win competitions. I’m halfway through my career now and hopefully I can win a few more things.

At 27, Walmsley knows he’s in the prime of his career and the clock is ticking for him to make the move to Australia.

At 115 kilos and standing 196cm, Walmsley is an intimidating presence.

He made his Super League debut for the Saints in 2013 and won a premiership with the club the following season.

In 2015 he was nominated for the Man of Steel award and named in the annual Dream Team, the Super League’s version of the Dally M team of the year.

While he admits a move to the NRL is likely on the cards, he can’t guarantee it’ll be next season.

Alex Walmsley named in the England WC team.Alex Walmsley named in the England WC team.Source: Twitter

“I have 12 months left on my deal,” he said.

“I’m under contract. I haven’t had any talks with anyone. I’ve not ruled anything out. I’m happy at St Helens. I’m at a stage of my career now where I have to do what’s best for myself.

“I’ve always been open about the NRL and it’s something I’d never rule out. It would be daft for myself to rule it out. I still have 12 months left with Saints and it’s probably something we’ll decide early next year. It’s the best competition in the world. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this time.”

Leaving his newborn son, Atticus, behind to make his debut for England, Walmsley’s family will join him in Australia next month.

Unlike a crucial game against Wakefield in September, Walmsley will be able to play plenty of minutes.

It was just a month ago the big unit left the field in full playing kit to race to the hospital to be by the side of his partner Simone who had gone into labour.

“It was a funny one,” he said.

“I went to Wakefield on an away game and my wife was due on the weekend of the game.

“I was an hour and a half away. It was a fair journey. I got the message late in the second half and I was playing well at the time. I was pretty annoyed I got pulled off.

“I said to Justin Holbrook the head coach, ‘what are you doing? I’m not gassed’ and he said Simone has gone into labour.

“I missed it by a little bit. We got a win and I had a little boy.”

Keeping tabs on the NRL from abroad, Walmsley offered Aaron Woods and David Klemmer’s names as players he keeps tabs on.

Providing he takes the field as part of Wayne Bennett’s World Cup 17, he’ll get to literally rub shoulders with them during Friday’s opening fixture in Melbourne.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • This guy is huge. Him, Kane Evans, Mannah (have to put him in) and Alvaro would make a massive pack. Alvaro can defend, Mannah can defend. Evans and Walmsley would be hard to stop

• It's just good to know we are looking at quality front towers

Nice allusion there, Bug and yeah, wouldn't it be nice.

• Yes England players do very well at Parramatta Hock anyone?

• Don't forget mossop
    • Chris Thorman....
  • Hock is definitely coming. 2018 +19 leadership group with Corey.
  • Holbrook and BA have a good relationship, it could work out good or bad for us .
    • it could work out good or bad for us .

C'mon Wiz - I never took you to be an Each way punter.

Go for the trifecta and add - or he could be just another journeyman.

If he did sign with us the fans would expect him to win EVERY contest.

• At 27 I believe is where forwards best years really begin. They've fully grown into their bodies and at their prime strength.
  • Like James Graham and Gareth Ellis when they came out here? Clueless

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Well that comes with a debutant in the halves with a non organising other half."
6 minutes ago
Axel replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Disjointed and many dropped balls . Let's see what they serve up tomorrow "
20 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Are there any hillsongers there anymore 🤔🤷‍♀️"
26 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Oh we will miss out sure as anything !!!!
we are as slow as a pensioner at the newsagent getting all their lotto tickets done "
28 minutes ago
More…