Accusations of Rape

Rugby-player-turned-49er accused of rape in civil suit
BANG Sports Desk
PUBLISHED: December 19, 2017 at 4:15 pm | UPDATED: December 19, 2017 at 5:02 pm
Categories:California News, Crime & Courts, Latest Headlines, News, San Francisco 49ers, Sports

Rugby player Jarryd Hayne played one season for the 49ers in 2015. (Nhat V. Meyer/Bay Area News Group)
Jarryd Hayne, the Australian rugby-league player who spent 2015 on the 49ers, has been accused of rape in a civil suit filed in Santa Clara County on Tuesday.

According to attorney John Clune, the suit contends that Hayne engaged in nonconsensual sexual intercourse with a “Ms. V” in December 2015.

The District Attorney’s Office reviewed the case and rejected it Oct. 25, 2016 for insufficient evidence.

Typically, sexual assaults that are reported weeks or months after they allegedly occurred can be difficult to prosecute. Any physical evidence, for instance, is usually limited or non-existent by the time the investigation begins.

The suit claims the victim was a virgin at the time and was afraid to come forward for several months, and eventually sought medical treatment for continued vaginal pain. According to the suit, the victim reported the rape to the police in May of 2016.

Prosecutors, according to the lawsuit, concluded there was not enough evidence to prove the crime of rape beyond a reasonable doubt. The lawsuit includes claims of sexual battery, gender violence, infliction of emotional distress and negligence.

Hayne left a high-profile career in Australia to play football for the first time with the 49ers, and he became a summer sensation in making their 2015 roster as a punt returner and running back. He appeared in their first six games, got released on Halloween, returned for their final two games and ultimately announced his retirement from the NFL on May 15, 2016.

Hayne then tried out with the Fiji Rugby Sevens team in hopes of participating in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. He did not make that team, and he returned to his native Australia and resumed his rugby-league career, spending the past two years in Queensland before recently re-signing with his native Sydney club.

In a press release issued by the 49ers upon retiring, Hayne said, “I am retiring from the NFL because he Fiji Rugby Sevens team reached out to me about the opportunity to join the team for the upcoming Olympics, and I simply could no pass that chance up. The Olympics has been something I have admired since I was a little boy, and it is an opportunity I feel very similar to me joining the NFL.”

Hayne competed last month for Fiji in the Rugby League World Cup and is back in Sydney with his original rugby-league team, Parramatta.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Nothing to see here “concluded there was not enough evidence to prove of rape  beyond a reasonable doubt”

• That's criminal burden of proof. The civil burden is balance of probabilities
    • Yeah this article does not make a lot of sense. Why is it being reported today if the case was dismissed in October 2016?

• It's because this is a civil suit. Criminal charges are dealt with by police/prosecutors and must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (BRD). In this matter the prosecution did not bat on with the matter sighting lack of evidence to prove the offence BRD. But what's happened since is the civil side which is a lower test on balance of probabilities. The civil side does not involve police/prosecution, but usually retains the same evidence (statements / DNA etc). Hope that helps.
  • Well there goes Hayne’s season. No way he can perform with this hanging over his head. The guy is a walking headline. 

• I dont believe half the stories from these women, many are looking for cash after the fact, she should have taken it to the police there and then, zero sympathy for her.

Im going to back Jarryd here, the 'i was a virgin i didnt want to report it' sounds nonsense to me, and what virgin doesnt feel a bit sore after being put through her first paces?

But whats not good is the constant Jarryd circus, its not good for anybody, this is just a sign of whats to come.

• A whore bangs Jarryd Hayne without knowing who he is then over the course of the next 12 months Jarryd becomes quite famous and the the whore all of a sudden goes to the police bad claims dhee was raped by Jarryd .   It's a Shane how the story makes no mention of the money this whore asked Jarryd's management for before she went to the Police .     

• I don't understand why you're referring to the alleged victim as "whore". Wake up to yourself Frankie, I understand you feel the need to be edgy all the time but you really need to take stock in what you say.

Inb4 edgy insult to  defelect criticisim.

• “Mr Hayne brought our client back to his home, approached her in the dark, turned her around as to not face him and told her ‘no kissing’,” attorney John Clune said in a statement provided to news.com.au.

Ahahaa does that not sound like he hasnt come out of the closet ( innocent of course)

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
2 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
3 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
3 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
3 hours ago
More…